Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

yabbadabba
Topic Author

AI & finance companies

February 15th, 2008, 11:46 am

Which companies/funds out there focus on AI as their core strategy? D.E.Shaw doesn't focus on AI, although they are keen on hiring first-rate AI people. Other companies such as prediction company and FatKat have been moderately successful at best.

quartz

AI & finance companies

February 19th, 2008, 1:28 pm

So FatKat isnt just another scam from the singular guy? Didnt bother investigating but I'm always delighted in being proven wrong...Also lost track of what Prediction was doing since the two guys left, is it still riding? Not that one would still consider that AI nowadays.You can safely assume that almost anyone with atleast some decent AI wouldnt let the world know of it though... (besides, the term "AI" itself is now deprecated anyway).Actually there's one guy who also publishes small and outdated bits of his real activity along the lines, but damned if i could recall the name... the archive here has grown to a dungeon...

yabbadabba
Topic Author

AI & finance companies

February 19th, 2008, 2:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: quartzSo FatKat isnt just another scam from the singular guy?It's your typical AI marketing thing. Although Kurzweil made some very impressive inventions in his lifetime he is dead wrong on prediction and markets.QuoteYou can safely assume that almost anyone with atleast some decent AI wouldnt let the world know of it though... (besides, the term "AI" itself is now deprecated anyway).I agree that AI doesn't really mean very much. It's hard to find quants who know more about AI then Backprop and Genetic Algorithms. So I think there is a difference between AI and a quantitative view. AI has for example a long record of investigating (qualitative) knowledge. For example fuzzy logic or the semantic web (after Pierce's semantic nets) are two well known spin-offs from this thread. Although firms probably don't want to be marked as an AI firm, I would have thought that if a company is focused on a strategy it would be known.

tu160

AI & finance companies

February 20th, 2008, 2:54 pm

Last edited by tu160 on December 9th, 2011, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quartz

AI & finance companies

February 20th, 2008, 5:00 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: tu160what about those guyshttp://www.iht.com/articles/2007/05/03/business/bxdata.php"We want to be able to ask a computer, 'Tell me about the merger of corporation A and corporation B,' or 'Tell me about the impact on the markets of sending more troops to Iraq,' " McKeown said.Who wouldnt want it?(but honestly, if we really had AI, wouldnt money machines be pretty ridiculous targets compared to all other possibilities? sound like turbo-modified wheelchairs...)

yabbadabba
Topic Author

AI & finance companies

February 21st, 2008, 7:44 am

QuoteVasant Dhar, a former Morgan Stanley quant who teaches at New York University's Stern School of Business, is trying to program a computer to predict the ways in which unexpected events, like the sudden death of an executive, might affect a company's stock price."We want to be able to ask a computer, 'Tell me about the merger of corporation A and corporation B,' or 'Tell me about the impact on the markets of sending more troops to Iraq,' " McKeown said."AI is very effective when there's a specific solution," Hamilton said. "The real challenge is where judgment is required, and that's where AI has largely failed."That is what I would call confused thinking, which one gets accustomed to in this area.I don't consider datamining blogs or trying to emulate a Wall Street trader to be serious work, but that's just me.
Last edited by yabbadabba on February 20th, 2008, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.