SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

endian675
Topic Author

What to do when the stats say you're done for the year...

March 12th, 2008, 9:08 pm

Hi chapsFirst post here with my new username, I've just retired my previous one that's got a bit too much personal information in it. But I'm still new here.Anyway, I am trading a small system based on events and the probability with which they occur. I hope to grow the system to significantly larger size over the next six to nine months. I have reasonable historic data on how many winning events I can expect in a year. My question is this: if, by the 10th month of the year, I've seen as many winning events as have occurred on average over the last n years, should I stop trading for the rest of the year? On the one hand I say yes, that I have filled the winning "slots" for the year and that on average the remaining slots should turn out to be empty. However, the other side of it is that the year is an arbitrary divider, and there's nothing to say that the average number of winning events won't be spread over 2 years or more. Your thoughts?

daveangel

March 13th, 2008, 7:27 am

you should make hay whilst the sun shines
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

nazzdack

March 13th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Consistent execution of your system will yield consistent results. Random execution will yield random results.

endian675
Topic Author

November 27th, 2009, 1:04 pm

Well it happened, and earlier than expected - after only about a third of a year's trading we'd hit the expectation value of the strategy. Going to keep on going, as encouraged above.

daveangel

November 27th, 2009, 1:23 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: endian675Well it happened, and earlier than expected - after only about a third of a year's trading we'd hit the expectation value of the strategy. Going to keep on going, as encouraged above.i can let you have my address so you can send me the cheque ?
knowledge comes, wisdom lingers

magriggs

November 27th, 2009, 8:21 pm

Last edited by magriggs on November 26th, 2009, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trendkiller

November 28th, 2009, 6:37 am

I'd keep putting on the trades but perhaps with reduced position size. When things do turn around as expected, you'll get hurt less.Sizing your bets adaptively can make huge differences in performance. It's a good idea to run some tests, especially if you encounter the kind of situation you have described.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On