Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Siberian
Topic Author

Algo trading

May 13th, 2008, 6:19 pm

Already posted a similar questions on software forum, and no replies, let me try it here, apologise to the webmasters;I am interested in hearing from people who are using complex event processing platforms for algo trading/tran costs/data filtering, if names like Aleri, Streambase and Coral8 mean something to you, and you would not mind sharing your experience, i would greatly appreciate any comments.Thanks in advance.Sib

opsho

Algo trading

May 13th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I've some familiarity with them though I'm just a simple front office FX guys. Happy to connect via private message if there's anything I can help with.

opsho

Algo trading

May 13th, 2008, 7:19 pm

I've some familiarity with them though I'm just a simple front office FX guys. Happy to connect via private message if there's anything I can help with.

quantumar

Algo trading

May 14th, 2008, 3:05 pm

I am evaluating Coral8 at the moment, do you have specific questions

Siberian
Topic Author

Algo trading

May 14th, 2008, 4:06 pm

Would it be correct to say that Coral8 has less in-built analytics than some of its peers?What is your experience so far with the CEPs in general?Thanks very much in advance,Ev

quantumar

Algo trading

May 14th, 2008, 7:49 pm

I can only speak for Coral8, I did not look at the competitors yet. Over all CEP is really nice way to bridge especially the business needs and technology for many departments in a firm and have enterprise level software that applies to whole firm. It's applicable to many purposes from real time fraud detection to simple algorithmic trading. I found it useful because you can keep everything in one place, do back testing and once you are done all you have to do is to turn the switch to go live. It's very convenient. Performance is really good if you build the codes for parallel programming. Additionally Coral8 uses SQL language with some additions to it. It's a very easy transition if you know the SQL language. It's great way of looking at reporting and real time signal detection with so many variables, but I did not find it as useful in complex algo trading especially if you had to built several complex logics that are dependent to each other. Modification and interdependent optimizations are much harder to build in SQL type programming than other programs out there. I think that's where they are lagging. I will get together with them soon to discuss some of the draw backs in their program and what we are really looking for. They are very open to suggestions and ideas to improve the program. They told me all the features in the program was designed after getting feedback from clients, as a result I suspect they might be lacking in some respects especially in analytics, but that's partly due to SQL like language too. I had the change to see some algorithms that some banks using in Coral8 for algo trading but those algos are very simple spread making algos with simple logics. if your needs are not complex in terms of trading systems I think you will find coral8 very easy to use and convenient, but if you have complex trading systems it takes more time and tinkering to make things work than other software packages.
Last edited by quantumar on May 13th, 2008, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rmax

Algo trading

May 15th, 2008, 6:57 am

I know Aleri was being used by a large banking institution and they were not very happy with it issues around performance I seem to remember. This was a few years ago mind-you and they were using it not for algo trading but for something else.

Siberian
Topic Author

Algo trading

May 15th, 2008, 11:37 am

Thank you quantumar and rmax. I appreciate your responses. Will do more digging.Sib