Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

AnalyStrat

Interactive Brokers the best broker out there?

June 18th, 2011, 11:38 pm

But there is a minimum number of trades you have to carry out every month. For someone who wants to invest and maybe do nothing for 2 months or so, what other broker would be suitable?
Last edited by AnalyStrat on June 18th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stonybrooknick

June 19th, 2011, 6:05 am

there are tons of brokers out there, find the one that best suits your trading style , and if you have 100k like you say proprietary trading is probably your best option , dimension trading ,blackwood , MB, REDI , GENISIS , graybox ,nxcore , lightspeed

Y0da
Topic Author

June 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Last edited by Y0da on June 19th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Y0da
Topic Author

June 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: stonybrooknickthere are tons of brokers out there, find the one that best suits your trading style , and if you have 100k like you say proprietary trading is probably your best option , dimension trading ,blackwood , MB, REDI , GENISIS , graybox ,nxcore , lightspeedWell I don't have 100k yet, but I'll start trading when I do which I hope to be soon. My trading style will be trend following. I guess that is not too frequent trading in general, and more of a long-term approach. But of course it depends on how many different systems and markets I'm playing with.So, sure, I'm doing "proprietary-trading" in the sense that I will be developing the trading systems myself, but they will not be high frequency trading systems, but rather trend following systems.

Y0da
Topic Author

June 20th, 2011, 7:24 pm

In any case, IB have like 10 USD per month of minimum trading fees. That doesn't seem like a killer in any case. Even if you don't go that high, they'll just charge the damn 10 bucks per month. Doesn't seem like too much. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Last edited by Y0da on June 19th, 2011, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mit

June 21st, 2011, 11:07 pm

yes, but you also have to pay $10/mth for the data fees (wavied for $30+ commision)..but yes if you just buy and hold, then min $10 commision a month

comparebroker

April 16th, 2013, 7:50 am

Even though they have been names #1 by Barron's and they have exceptionally low fees, the fact that they want $10,000 deposit discourages me to go to them. I don't think they are the best.

Kondratiev

April 17th, 2013, 1:57 pm

comparebroker - 3 postsspam much ?

katastrofa

April 20th, 2013, 9:22 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: PIsquaredI have never used IB. If you intend to trade in the order of more than 4 or 5k lots in futures contracts per month for instance, you could look at MF Global, Marex or the Kyte Group. Their rates are lower than retail brokers, and they offer a range of trading platforms with api.Would you still recommend MF Global?

leptoq

Re: Interactive Brokers the best broker out there?

January 4th, 2021, 3:35 pm

I've been using Interactive Brokers for more than 10 years to trade my personal accounts. Unfortunately recently they went to shit. They have complete failures now every second week.  Does anyone else has similar experience with these guys? 

Did they outsource their IT completely somewhere? 

Cuchulainn

January 4th, 2021, 5:13 pm

I don't know much about IB except that they were big into C++. Maybe they use Python of C# or whatever now? 
If it is so, then outsourcing is very very bad.

leptoq

January 4th, 2021, 5:30 pm

I don't know much about IB except that they were big into C++. Maybe they use Python of C# or whatever now? 
If it is so, then outsourcing is very very bad.
Everything that these guys do recently is horrible. I'm not even talking about their API. Just to check PnL via their website became an adventure recently .... 
Seeing something like 404 error is a bummer. The letter from their owner (a month ago or so) explaining why they fucked up was amusing, but it happened again and again. I'd love to get few more data points to decide if I should give up on using these guys 

jgiannattasio

January 10th, 2021, 1:54 pm

You can also check Tradestation their commissions are very competitive.  One thing I most say is that, commissions are negotiable. With a 100k I´m pretty sure you can get a great deal. And don´t forget the data package costs.  IB data costs are cumbersome. Tradestation offers free data packages if you maintain a minimum account size. You can also link your account to Tradingview and all your data packages work there. I have accounts in both because Tradestation does not offer FX trading. So I use IB for FX and Tradestation for Stocks, Options and Futures.