SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Bergomi

Re: Volatility Trading And Predicting

May 17th, 2017, 3:17 am

Could someone kindly send me the paper ? That's a topic I am really interested in.

frolloos

May 17th, 2017, 10:30 am

The paper is interesting, maybe the author will pm you and send it. 

The gist of it / the basics you can derive yourself though, starting with the observation that 

[$] E^Q [dC] = rCdt = rC^{BS} dt [$] 

Then express [$] dC [$] in terms of Black-Scholes Greeks. Once you've done that you have an equation for implied volatility. If you then assume that the correlation between implied volatility and the stock/index is constant across strikes, and also that the dollar gamma, volga and vanna are constant across strikes you have basically a way to calibrate the smile using 4 pillar options (or 3 if you assume the drift of implied vol is zero). This is in essence the so-called GVV cost frameworkby Arslan et al on which the paper by Alexander Giryavets builds.

There are quite a few assumptions here and it has been shown that these assumptions actually can lead to arbitrage. That said, it is conceptually interesting and I believe still an active field of research.

alexandergir
Topic Author

July 15th, 2017, 8:56 pm

I think I saw some arbitrage paper at some point, it was looking at the wrong model which does not even fit the market so i didn't bother to look any further. These days 3 costs model is a standard and benchmark, of course it is arbitrage free and you can make stochastic model out of it. 

To do research that will lend you a job at an options fund/prop folks should look at the Costs of short term tails, and, separately, costs of jumps around events. This is state of the art right now. One can start here with an excellent work of my friend Lorenzo: http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/c4ff5c_e3ae2ba856a54af49cc957cc425ca4fa.pdf

bondnote

July 16th, 2017, 4:43 pm

@alexandergir, can you please email me the paper original paper that was on SSRN on klhzim78atgmail.com

ianpatrickreid

July 22nd, 2017, 11:08 pm

Could @alexandergir or someone please send me a copy of the paper?  I would greatly appreciate it!  ian.patrick.reid@gmail.com  Concept sounds intriguing and the consensus of all those that do have it and have posted on it is very positive.  Thanks so much!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...