SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

deskquant
Topic Author

Index arbitrage and other general questions

April 9th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Imagine an economy in which we have stocks S1, S2, S3 and S4. These are common stocks and pay dividends etc. There is also a market cap weighted index I (weighted sum of S1 through S4).The stocks and I also have futures F1, F2, F3, F4 and F that also trade in this market.1) Claim 1 - The no arbitrage price of the Future F equals the market cap weighted prices of F1, F2, F3, F4 - I think this should be true but not 100% sure.Now I want to study divergences between F and F1,F2,F3,F4 and devise say a stat arb strategy - that basically trades when it sees a meaningful price divergence between a synthetic index of F1, F2, F3, F4 and F. What are the potential approaches. Does cointegration make sense? How about PCA? If I incorporate all futures in the study I may never get a signal. Lets say that the weight on the F1 and F2 add up to more than 80%, should I just trade a basket of F1,F2 and F as per their cointegrating vector, and study its properties.I may be nebulous here, but I am just trying to see if anyone else had generic ideas to approach this problem. Many thanks.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On