SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

chocolatemoney
Topic Author

Hedge ratio with nonlinear cointegration

August 26th, 2013, 9:07 am

Hi,Let's say we have a nonlinear cointegrating relationship y = f(x) where x is a vector of independent tradable variables (f.ex shares).I am new to non-linear cointegration. How would you calculate the hedge ratios?I could just linearize f(x). Is there something I should take into account, on top of the numerical accuracy?Which methodology would you employ?Thanks!

AnalyticalVega

August 27th, 2013, 4:28 pm

The whole idea of non-linear cointegration seems a bit silly. Yes markets are non-linear, but if your linear approx (i.e OLS). doesn't estimate well (and in many cases it won't work very well), why think a non-linear one will work better? There are an infinite number of different non-linearities..just saying..http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/P/cp/p13b/p1355.pdf
Last edited by AnalyticalVega on August 26th, 2013, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chocolatemoney
Topic Author

August 28th, 2013, 5:28 am

Well, in my case, the choice of the functional form has a clear financial and economic meaning.Now it is time to numerically, locally linearize the outcome, so I can figure out the hedge ratios.Just trying to brainstorm if high school algebra does the job or if I am missing something..Anyway, thanks for the link.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On