Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

JeremyWS
Topic Author

FX swaps

January 1st, 2014, 12:52 am

Hi,I was wondering quickly how (or if you can) express an interest rate position using FX forwards and Spot.For example, imagine I wanted to be exposed to a position that is "long" AUD rates vs USD.Take the AUD 6M swap at about 106 points, this implies a yearly yield of about 2.38%, how can I trade using a 6M forward and spot so that I profit if the yield goes up and have no (or very little) FX exposure?I was thinking sell the forward and buy spot, but I wasn't sure if that works, especially as the forward "decays" toward the spot price over time so it doesn't quite work?Thanks in advance, and happy new year.Jeremy.

giladr

FX swaps

January 1st, 2014, 6:14 am

Hi Jeremy,I'll try to explain FX Swaps quickly:FX Swap is simultaneously buying and selling of fx spot and fx forward. You can do both directions (buy & sell, sell & buy -> fx spot & fx forward respectively).Obviously, you don't execute 2 deals, and dealer will quote you the difference between the spot and forward (actually, it can be 2 forwards, so the diff between leg#1 and leg#2).Exposure wise, this is equivalent to a cross currency irs, where the rates exchanged are both fixed, with one rate set off-market at 0%.The exposures you will get is long dv in one ccy and short dv in the other ccy (supposed to be the respective OIS curves, assuming you have a reasonable CSA in place), plus a long/short ccy1/ccy2 basis exposure - this is also heavily dependent on your institution (a US bank with access to fed funds will have a different discount curve than a EUR bank for example, and thus differenet IR attached to the same ccy).Spot exposure results from NPV calculation, which means (assuming mid-market, i.e. npv=0 at inception) you get some positive npv in ccy1 and the same amt of negative npv in ccy2 (thus netting npv=0). This absolute amt of npv is your spot exposure, and this spot exposure will be different if you're a USD bank or a EUR bank or a TRY bank, because of the different discount curves you will use.FX Swaps are liquid usually upto 1 year (very liquid ccys will be quoted to somewhat longer maturites) and above 1 year cross ccy irs takes over liquidity wise.Hope this made sense.

Pasargad

FX swaps

April 4th, 2014, 5:08 am

sell USD / buy AUD spotbuy USD / sell AUD forward (6months say)in one month (say), roll the forward leg to go back to a 6 month exposure.This way you should roughly stay long AUD rate / short USD rate with a maturity of 5.5months.It would not be a pure rate trade though as the xccy basis (and supply/demand for USD cash vs AUD cash) would come into play (as noted by Giladr).

cosmologist

FX swaps

December 2nd, 2014, 7:19 pm

Hi Jeremy,You said" Obviously, you don't execute 2 deals, and dealer will quote you the difference between the spot and forward (actually, it can be 2 forwards, so the diff between leg#1 and leg#2)."What about the Spot and the forward leg of the deal. there is a spot transaction in which currencies are exchanged, I guess.
Last edited by cosmologist on December 1st, 2014, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.