Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

MaxwellSheffield
Topic Author

How would you price American options?

June 13th, 2018, 12:22 pm

Hello, 

This is an open question : How would you price an american option on future consistently with the smile ? 

For example, when it comes to pricing Eurodollar option, we often see the black formula used in an awkward way : 
- There is no margin process for the option, an american option should not be priced as a European.
- The future rate is not a martingale under the "T-forward measure" 
- Even if it was a European, payment occurs at the expiring date, not  "tenor"-month  later.
The american premium is not negligible , hence the need to model the future rate as well as the funding rate.

Gamal

Re: How would you price American options?

June 13th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Dupire callibrated to Europeans.

MaxwellSheffield
Topic Author

June 13th, 2018, 1:19 pm

How about funding? 

What is European ? Option are american 

agnoatto

June 25th, 2018, 12:30 pm

Do you mean that the presence of FVA etc should have an impact on the optimal exercise? Well Andrew Green has a paper on that on Risk, but I tend to believe that typically the optimal exercise is treated separately w.r.t. all xVAs like in the old single curve world...

At least, this seems to me a picture of what is happening in order to keep things short and simple.
Prof Alessandro Gnoatto, PhD
Department of Economics
University of Verona
Via Cantarane 24 - 37129 Verona - Italy
37129, Verona, Italy

Gamal

June 26th, 2018, 8:47 am

As far as I know models should be calibrated.

MaxwellSheffield
Topic Author

June 26th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Well you obviously know nothing but you act like you know everything... It is not the first time, please move.

MaxwellSheffield
Topic Author

June 26th, 2018, 1:34 pm

Do you mean that the presence of FVA etc should have an impact on the optimal exercise? Well Andrew Green has a paper on that on Risk, but I tend to believe that typically the optimal exercise is treated separately w.r.t. all xVAs like in the old single curve world...

At least, this seems to me a picture of what is happening in order to keep things short and simple.
Exactly, the thing is that without funding, it is never optimal to exercise whether it is a put or a call, hence it can be priced as a european. With funding it is a totally different story.... Even if we forget about FVA, and assume that we can lend/borrow at a theoretical risk free rate, the future option still cannot be priced as a european. In that situation , it is hard to capture the pure dynamics of the future rate from eurodollar option . I am going to find the paper you are talking about.

Gamal

June 26th, 2018, 2:18 pm

Well you obviously know nothing but you act like you know everything... It is not the first time, please move.
Why are you asking questions, when you don't want to hear any answers?

MaxwellSheffield
Topic Author

June 27th, 2018, 11:30 am

you are seriously calling your posts answers? You drop 3 words showing that you have no clue about the topic... You know it is ok if you dont know the answer, that is why i am asking this question, i dont expect the answer to be common knowledge.
It is the technical section, if you wanna brag and patronize, go to the student forum . You are embarrassing yourself , please leave.

Gamal

June 29th, 2018, 12:53 pm

you are seriously calling your posts answers?
I see, you're clever enough to judge people you've never met. But not enough to understand your business since you're asking elementary questions.

MaxwellSheffield
Topic Author

June 29th, 2018, 7:40 pm

you are seriously calling your posts answers?
I see, you're clever enough to judge people you've never met. But not enough to understand your business since you're asking elementary questions.
Elementary questions?!? haha, I am clever enough to recognize a fraud . Now cut if off and move away.

Gamal

June 29th, 2018, 8:54 pm

You're a bit too short to command, dude.

frolloos

June 30th, 2018, 8:23 am

@OP: what do you find so wrong about Gamal's answer? Black formula is just a quoting mechanism - nobody really uses it to price exotic / american options. Given European implied vols you calibrate your model of choice and use that to price whatever you need to price using your numerical scheme of choice.

Or have we completely misunderstood your question?

And here is a document that kind of explains why they are treated as European even though they're American:

https://developers.opengamma.com/quanti ... nGamma.pdf

Cuchulainn

June 30th, 2018, 2:02 pm

You could try to communucate better. Instead of 1 line answer, take 2 line answer for starters.

frolloos

July 1st, 2018, 3:12 am

We all drop one-liners sometimes. It's not a reason for the OP to be agressive about it, and the OP hasn't replied to my question whether wéve completely misunderstood him, and in particular whether he still thinks Gamal's answers are really that far off the mark.