SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

billyx524
Topic Author

option delta

January 21st, 2020, 12:10 am

Hi,

Does anyone know a no-arbitrage proof that call option delta has to be between 0 and 1?  We know that Black Scholes model N(d1) tells us that it is between 0 and 1, but is there a no-arbitrage argument?

Thanks

billyx524
Topic Author

Re: option delta

January 21st, 2020, 2:11 am

Thanks a lot.  The deeper I go into models, the more I ask myself, "how do we know our models derivations/results" are correct.  Sometimes getting confused between real financial markets and mathematical models

frolloos

January 21st, 2020, 6:18 am

Thanks a lot.  The deeper I go into models, the more I ask myself, "how do we know our models derivations/results" are correct.  Sometimes getting confused between real financial markets and mathematical models
Define "correct". Aren't all models approximations? Some are good/realistic approximations, others are mathematically interesting but may not be appropriate to explain a particular phenomenon. 

fomisha

February 11th, 2020, 3:34 pm

It can be below 0 or above 1.

On the subject of delta calculation take a look at this article:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/spot-vol ... y-klassen/

lePiddu

February 12th, 2020, 8:17 am

@billy524 

Totally agree with @frolloos. As long as the assumptions on which your model is based are met, the model is correct by definition. 

You may be interested in what happens when some assumptions are violated. You are going to need a measure of the "performance" achieved by your model and find the impact in terms of this performance. Not an easy task I would say, but some typical examples are "hedging in the black-scholes world with the wrong volatility" or "disregarding second order movements in yield curves" or "reality is mean reverting, model is not".

You should always test the sensitivity of your model to the misspecification of its characteristics. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On