Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

BerndSchmitz2
Topic Author

How to account for CCP basis

January 12th, 2022, 11:48 am

Hi,

I'm wondering how to account for a CCP basis (like EUREX vs. LCH) in a trading system. Two ways that immediately come to my mind are making the forward or the discount curve CCP-specific. As the par swap rate is not very sensitive against the discount curve*, I personally tend towards having a CCP-specific forward curve. But at the same time this gives me a bit of a headache as in theory different forwards can only be justified by differences in collateral rate. But at least for the VM the collateral rate for e.g. LCH and EUREX is the same, isn't it? And if it were different then wouldn't this imply that the discount curve of the 2 CCPs can't be the same?

What are your thoughts on that?

Best,
Bernd

* at the moment a 1bp difference in the 10Y EUR swap rate could only be explained by a 100bp parallel shift of the €STR curve (when keeping the forward the same)

BerndSchmitz2
Topic Author

Re: How to account for CCP basis

January 18th, 2022, 8:36 am

Nobody any opinion on that? :-(

PistolPete

Re: How to account for CCP basis

January 31st, 2022, 1:05 pm

I would also prefer a CCP-specific forward curve for reasons of tractability. In my opinion, the CCP basis (in practice) is not caused solely by different collateral rates. The basis has also other causes (liquidity, client structure, regulation rules, positions). But you are right. CCP-specific curves provide no economic explanation for the existence of a CCP basis. They do not capture the underlying factors driving the basis. They are rather reduced form models that are able to reflect the observed CCP basis when pricing financial instruments.