Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

annalippel
Topic Author

help on adr arbitrage and trend detecting

November 4th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Hello, Im totally new in this area. I´ve been offered a job in trading and the guy gave me one of the arbitrage he would like to do :for example as we detect a difference between a stock price in sao paulo and the one quoted in new york we trade under many conditions like for example if we have to buy in sao paulo develop a model to predict the trend of the stock on the short term ( we won´t buy the stock if the trends indicates a decreasing)... I have no idea how to build such a model, i guess the device will have to be very rapid to trade both the stocks while the difference still exists but what about the trend? i will have to use time series model right? which one? I´m sorry if the question seems confusing but I´m new in this area and I really wanna learn... Thank you for the answers!

aiQUANT

November 4th, 2008, 10:22 pm

how the hell did you end up getting the job then??

annalippel
Topic Author

November 4th, 2008, 11:02 pm

lol i dunno i guess because i´ve done signal processing, stochastic processes, physics, one year on a vol trading desk at the societe generale...etc... During the internship i´ve done two months on something similar like i had to build a model on mobile mean on volumes to detect patterns blabla ...I would be hired as a junior with no experience, they will teach me but i just want to learn the quickest as possible and by the threads i´ve reading round here i think i can find a lot of people with good advices is that bad? i´m here to learn not discuss about my position