SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

annalippel
Topic Author

help on adr arbitrage and trend detecting

November 4th, 2008, 5:55 pm

Hello, Im totally new in this area. I´ve been offered a job in trading and the guy gave me one of the arbitrage he would like to do :for example as we detect a difference between a stock price in sao paulo and the one quoted in new york we trade under many conditions like for example if we have to buy in sao paulo develop a model to predict the trend of the stock on the short term ( we won´t buy the stock if the trends indicates a decreasing)... I have no idea how to build such a model, i guess the device will have to be very rapid to trade both the stocks while the difference still exists but what about the trend? i will have to use time series model right? which one? I´m sorry if the question seems confusing but I´m new in this area and I really wanna learn... Thank you for the answers!

aiQUANT

November 4th, 2008, 10:22 pm

how the hell did you end up getting the job then??

annalippel
Topic Author

November 4th, 2008, 11:02 pm

lol i dunno i guess because i´ve done signal processing, stochastic processes, physics, one year on a vol trading desk at the societe generale...etc... During the internship i´ve done two months on something similar like i had to build a model on mobile mean on volumes to detect patterns blabla ...I would be hired as a junior with no experience, they will teach me but i just want to learn the quickest as possible and by the threads i´ve reading round here i think i can find a lot of people with good advices is that bad? i´m here to learn not discuss about my position
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On