SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Vegawizard
Topic Author

Interest Rate Options - Early exercise

December 30th, 2010, 9:20 am

Under what circumstances or for what reason would interest rate options (margined options on futures) be exercised early? Any ideas or explanations on this one?Thanks

Alan

December 31st, 2010, 7:09 pm

Not really my area, but there used to be some strong year-end seasonals that might play a role:http://research.stlouisfed.org/wp/2003/2003-040.pdf

Martinghoul

January 3rd, 2011, 1:08 pm

You need to be more specific, methinks... Specifically, are these STIR futures options or treasury futures options? Which specific exchanges?

prodiptag

January 4th, 2011, 6:04 am

This is a very interesting question and I do not have any clue, would love to know what others think. At the risks of hijacking the question, let's assume we are talking about STIR futures options on euronext?

Vegawizard
Topic Author

January 4th, 2011, 7:52 am

My Question relates to the Euribor & STIRS traded on Liffe. They are margined options on futures, so PnL is settled daily via variation margin pmts, therefore I cannot understand the rationale for early exercise - but it happens from time to time - Why?

natkins

January 4th, 2011, 10:18 am

It happens only occasionaly for two reasons in Euribor options.First, if the person trading has some sort of strange tax treatment of options compared to futures.Second, if a trader blows up and somebody liquidates his book (it can be cheaper than trading out of it with a broker after costs)Obviously it would normally be deep in the money options

prodiptag

January 4th, 2011, 12:41 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: natkinsIt happens only occasionaly for two reasons in Euribor options.First, if the person trading has some sort of strange tax treatment of options compared to futures.ah, tax, of course, strange things happens due to tax reasons, people have even been known to spend a year dead!!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On