SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

kelang
Topic Author

question about shifted-BGM...

May 22nd, 2014, 6:06 pm

Hi all,May I ask a question on the calibration of a shifted BGM model? To keep it simple, the model is assumed to be the following (which is equivalent to Dr. Piterbarg's when ignoring the stoc-vol component)dF(t)=(...)dt+vol*(F+shift)dW, where F is the forward rate, and the volatility is decomposed as vol(t)=h(t)*g(T-t)The dW is a multidimenstional independent Brownian motion [dW1, dW2, ..., dWn], and vol is thus [vol1, vol2, ..., voln]So the question is, how "bad" if we allow some component of [h(t)*h(t)] (e.g. h2(t)*h2(t)) to be negative while I still make sure the forward rate variance vol*vol to be positive through the time even if it becomes slightly negative in some circumstances. Or in practice, is it really normal to let the model parameter h(t)*h(t) be negative for some of its components?The reason I am asking is, when I tried to calibrate a 3F factor shifted-BGM to 3 columns of the swaption matrix (USD 2Y, 10Y, and 30Y) under the condition of shift~1/dt (i.e. reducing to a Gaussian HJM model), some components of h(t)*h(t) turn out to be negative...Thank you
Last edited by kelang on May 22nd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BenjG

May 24th, 2014, 8:25 am

Why do you need the volatility to be a function of time ? If you consider a shifted BGM, then the forward follows a shifted LN diffusion where vol is a constant (possibly a term structure).I don't see why you need this functional vol(t)=h(t)*g(T-t) ?Ben

BenjG

May 24th, 2014, 3:30 pm

Forget my stupid question... You are just using an homogeneous form of volatility: vol(t,T) = f(T-t) like an integrated Hull and White volatility I suppose (to get a non constant forward volatility).About your problem, having a negative volatility is not incorrect. However, a negative variance doesn't seem right to me !
Last edited by BenjG on May 23rd, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kelang
Topic Author

May 24th, 2014, 3:35 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: BenjGWhy do you need the volatility to be a function of time ? If you consider a shifted BGM, then the forward follows a shifted LN diffusion where vol is a constant (possibly a term structure).I don't see why you need this functional vol(t)=h(t)*g(T-t) ?Benthanks, apparently, the first term h(t) is the common time-dependent vol component (typically piecewise constant), and the second term is the time-homogenous vol component (typically a parametric function, e.g. abcd or other forms).
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On