Samsaveel
Topic Author

Capturing skew risk in IV swaption surface in VaR Framework

March 30th, 2015, 3:38 pm

Guy'sany input on this from ,**EXPERIENCE**,articles,papers ,etc..... Thanks,

Martinghoul

March 31st, 2015, 10:17 am

I have no idea what you're asking... Surely, there is historical data for skew, just like there is for any other mkt input. That should make things relatively straightforward, no?

Samsaveel
Topic Author

March 31st, 2015, 12:45 pm

yeah.... no idea about the question,i guess it is relatively ill posed from a content perspective :) what is industry practice to determine non ATM swaption vols ,how to link the smile shape in caplet data to swaption vols all of this is in the context of HS VaR ?

Martinghoul

April 1st, 2015, 9:35 am

Again, there's all sorts of methodologies that exist for non-ATM swaption vols. You can interpolate to your heart's content, you can use SABR or another model w/whatever set of parameters you like, etc etc etc...I am not really sure why you'd want to link caplet vol/skew to swaption vol/skew. If you wanted to do so, this wouldn't be a trivial exercise by any means.I am not at all sure how all of these are specifically related to VAR. Essentially, once you have chosen your model/methodology and have generated the historical data, your VAR process should be agnostic.My Z$2c...

Samsaveel
Topic Author

April 2nd, 2015, 2:44 pm

thanks Martingoul.a position in a swaption 10y10y starting sometime in the past,is the 10 y par swap rate used for fair valuation purposes daily ?

Martinghoul

April 7th, 2015, 9:26 pm

No, you would use the appropriate fwd rate...

Diskiss

April 8th, 2015, 9:00 am

you should link your caplet skew to your swaption skew. Your caplet vols are essentially the "first collumn" of your swaption vols. its the 3m underlying. (if we are talking about 3m caplets). you then follow with 1y 2y.. underlying swaption data.Your capfloor skew should therefore be in line with your swaption 1y underlying skew. The most common way to model your IR skew these days is to use SABR or a variant of it. its fairly easy to calibrate and has, from a market risk perspective, a great advantage of being easily used for "proxying". Meaning if you dont have skew data for MYR skew for example but your trading desk had that great idea to sell that MYR 5y10y 100 payer to a client and your are now stuck with including it in your VaR, using your SABR parameters from your already calibrated SGD or USD if thats all you have would be a good starting point until your trading desk provides you with a better set of parameters. You would of course use the right forward and get a set of logvols derived from SABR that you can easily upload in your system.Unfortunately not many system take SABR parameters as direct inputs...

Samsaveel
Topic Author

April 9th, 2015, 4:35 pm

"a set of logvols derived from SABR " ,which set would that be for the USD 5y10y 100 payer ?

pcaspers

April 10th, 2015, 7:15 am

I understood the original question as how to capture the smile risk, which has not been answeredE.g. if you use a SABR surface and suppose you use a naive historical VaR approach, would you just calculate scenarios based on the current [$](\alpha, \beta, \nu, \rho)[$] and stress these with historical relative (?) day to day changes ?Or would you go for a more geometric approach, looking at risk reversals and butterflies and stress these two smile characteristics ?Or something else ?

Samsaveel
Topic Author

April 13th, 2015, 1:54 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: pcaspersI understood the original question as how to capture the smile risk, which has not been answeredE.g. if you use a SABR surface and suppose you use a naive historical VaR approach, would you just calculate scenarios based on the current [$](\alpha, \beta, \nu, \rho)[$] and stress these with historical relative (?) day to day changes ?Or would you go for a more geometric approach, looking at risk reversals and butterflies and stress these two smile characteristics ?Or something else ?Thanks Pcaspers...how would you calculate scenarios on the current calibrated parameters [$](\alpha ,\beta,\nu,\rho)[$] ? could you shed some light on your last geometric approach ,looking at RR,BF and stressing these ?

pcaspers

April 13th, 2015, 2:20 pm

I don't know, maybe calculate relative daily changes in alpha, bet, nu, rho and stress your current SABR parameters with these ? But I think (I did not try that), that wouldn't work, it would give non sensical scenarios. But I don't know really.

Samsaveel
Topic Author

April 17th, 2015, 1:40 pm

what is market practice for checking the non-arbitragability of the IR volatility surface, after adding additive perturbations for scenario generation ?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On