SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

mj

Exact simulation of brownian motion and of its integral

March 2nd, 2016, 10:59 pm

you get into tricky issues when factor reducing and then using a long step scheme since time-dependent vol and drift state-dependence render the model full factor. I discuss these issues in detail in More Mathematical Finance. See also our paper http://ssrn.com/abstract=907385

MaxwellSheffield

March 3rd, 2016, 1:42 pm

Thank you ! I have the whole model implemented in C++, I was using a poor Euler-Scheme, and then I decided to get something more elaborated. I build my volatility vectors based on historical data(unit vectors) and market instruments( norm). When I build the unit vector, I already run a PCA to reduce the factors from 120 to let say 10 . Then I calibrate the norm to market instruments. I read in "Comparing Discretisations of the Libor market model in the spot measure" that the Predictor-corrector scheme is a superior scheme, hence my implementation issue. I tried to tackle the problem, approximating the Ito integral since my function beta is piece-wise constant, but I dont like this solution.Mj, I am going to read your paper now . Thanks.

Orbit

March 3rd, 2016, 5:26 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: CroackingToadHi everyone,maybe this is a very trivial question but I would like to have some suggestions on this. I would like to jointly simulate a brownian motion [$]W(t)[$] and its integral [$]Y(t):=\int_0^t{W(s)ds}[$].More precisely, what I would like to have is an exact updating rule that allows me to simulate [$]W(t_2)[$] and [$]Y(t_2)[$] given [$]W(t_1)[$] and [$]Y(t_1)[$]. Many thanks in advanceHi all. Sorry joined the thread late. Shouldn't the density that goes with [$]Y(t)[$] be this?...Ok, hasty effort. Y(t) is normal, expectation is zero, variance is given by E[(Y(t))^2], use Fubini / isometry, obtain var = (t^3)/3:)
Last edited by Orbit on March 3rd, 2016, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Orbit

March 4th, 2016, 3:10 pm

Sorry, Alan why in OP's question do we need to simulate a joint distribution of Y(t) and W(t)? There is only one source of randomness, W(t)? Thanks
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On