Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

davidovg

Re: Hyperinflation

June 25th, 2021, 12:54 pm

So where do we stand now? I saw a comment from March 2020 stating: 'definitely i see high chance of demand going way DOWN, not up,  with people stuck at home, fired from work...' 
So assuming the idea of Covid was to curb demand, will we see exponential rise in inflation with reopening of borders, travelling, buying new cars, clothes etc. etc. ? I believe if central banks do not stop QE and increase the interest rates they are screwing 99% of the people.    

hugopk

July 5th, 2021, 9:44 am

This thread aged gracefully

Collector

November 24th, 2021, 10:20 pm

Hyperinflation even inside NATO

https://www.ft.com/content/7c3ec643-0045-4437-9e7f-66e1385af2ce

Analysts warn of increased dollarisation, hyperinflation and the rising cost of debt.

And even expectation of hyper inflation can accelerate inflation also other places...wait and see!!

But the maximum velocity of money is still c, so do not fear hyperinflation coming to u faster than the speed of light, it is impossible. Relax!

Collector

November 30th, 2021, 11:57 am

electricity price up like a few hundred percent in Norway (from normal winter Peak price). One kr per KwH was considered very high before, now we had 6kr per KwH), students shower in the gym (to save 25 to 50 kr that it cost to take a quick shower at home), I just wanted a coffee, but cafe was over filled with students as one of few place they can stay warm without paying their shirt to stay warm...(excellent Omicron strategy by the way, packed cafes, but boosters they will for sure be offered, as most students are above 6 months old.)

old ladies (and bitter-sweet men) hides at home from Omicron with nisselua langt nedover ørene to stay warm... old wood stoves not allowed to use in many towns as not burning clean enough...heating with oil is outlawed long term ago in the oil nation, and hardly any have gass stoves (exported)

Norway one of the countries with most energy per capita are freezing to save world from global warming, the clean energy (and the dirty) has been exported to the brits and others, and many are not even allowed to heat with wood in old charismatic wood stoves, this is how we will save the world....med nisselua langt nedover ørene!

Collector

December 1st, 2021, 4:48 pm

Oslo student dormitory today :  
Screenshot 2021-12-01 at 17.45.23.png
Why would they sell naked call options on showering? don't they understand climate risk? 

and some one stole fire-wood from my barn this week  :o not kidding...from now all will be behind locks and doors..

almost all fossil fule is exported, oil gass not allowed to use to heat the shower or the water. Norway will reach zero emission in time I think according to the Paris agreement, if not (golden) shower revolution starts before that...

Modern economies and wealth fare (such as access to showering) are built around access to energy, I have for long time talked about we need much more resources to fundamental physics to solve energy challenges of the future, but I have been ridiculed for such suggestions by "Green" Party. To forbid students to shower I do not think is the very best solution to save the world! Well Oslo has recommended people to pie in the shower before, so not exactly shocking.

kc11415

December 8th, 2021, 2:11 am

All standard disclaimers apply, and then some.

Collector

March 21st, 2022, 10:12 pm

inflation in Russia accelerating rapidly...

solarapex

April 3rd, 2022, 5:29 am

hyperinflation occurs when there is a massive and ongoing shortage of supply of REAL resources.
it is a red-herring when people talk about money supply- affects on money supply are a consequence, not a cause.
Exactly. I think in these terms. It is not necessarily about money supply, but rather the rate of spending (which also is determined by many factors like uncertainty). It's still possible to get inflation with money supply unchanged. Although, it will be difficult to reach hyperinflation.

Another reason is the drop in utilization of existing resources. Ability to renting/loan assets (e.g. equipment, property) has the opposite effect. Still remember that from 2000s.

Also, inflation is not necessarily a bad thing. Stagflation is.

Collector

June 16th, 2022, 7:56 pm

Mercadian

August 26th, 2022, 12:11 am

I just finished re-reading Hazlitt’s economics in one lesson.

Pairs up nicely with this Mises institute conference:

https://youtu.be/bbptwRjLat0

Is it time to try the Austrian school?

bearish

August 26th, 2022, 11:15 pm

I’d be inclined to file that one under “Never Mind the Pollocks”

Mercadian

August 29th, 2022, 3:00 pm

I’d be inclined to file that one under “Never Mind the Pollocks”
Hahahahahahaha, on man that really got me laughing, touche Bearish, that's a good one, I'll do you one better for the folks in the states... file it under "Never Mind the Ron Pollocks"

Collector

November 8th, 2022, 11:22 pm

what type of inflation are mention in media?

greedflation: I understand profitable companies increasing the price just to increase profit and blame it on inflation.
shrinkflation: oldest game in town, cut amount in package sold to keep prices down in inflation times.
 skimpflation: " degradation in the quality of services while keeping the price constant, such as a hotel offering a more meager breakfast or reducing the frequency of housekeeping" Wikipedia.
dumbflation: politicians adding to the inflation from their dumbness policy claimed at fighting inflation.

what others?

Paul
Topic Author

April 16th, 2023, 1:03 am

When did oysters become $4.50 each???

I could really use some of that deflation right now.

bearish

April 16th, 2023, 1:14 am

When did oysters become $4.50 each???

I could really use some of that deflation right now.
I think that depends entirely on where you’re shopping. Our grocery service (Fresh Direct) will deliver them to us in Manhattan for “free” at a price of $1.49 each, with a special deal of $15 for a dozen of the Long Island Great Gun oysters.