Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

frolloos

Re: minimum wage vs maximum wage

May 31st, 2017, 4:40 pm

Basically, most of us (I mean people in general) are average, and so we become greedy in order not to feel average. 

Paul

May 31st, 2017, 5:05 pm

Perfectly healthy attitude.

In academia they are below average so try to bring people down. Not so healthy.

frolloos

May 31st, 2017, 5:46 pm

Yes, that is actually a normal / expected and very human instinct. 

Probably also in academia, except there that kind of behaviour should be forbidden. Universities should be sacred, meritocratic temples of knowledge - not going to happen, I know.

ppauper
Topic Author

June 3rd, 2017, 9:35 am

Basically, most of us (I mean people in general) are average, and so we become greedy in order not to feel average. 
back in grad school, a friend of mine who was doing a PhD in a liberal arts subject was a TA, and the kids got upset because he gave some of them C's on essays because "you can't all be above average"

frolloos

June 3rd, 2017, 11:00 am

back in grad school, a friend of mine who was doing a PhD in a liberal arts subject was a TA, and the kids got upset because he gave some of them C's on essays because "you can't all be above average"
My maths teacher in high school was a skilled ego-terminator: "Einstein was excellent, the rest of us are just good, at best." We couldn't really argue against that obviously, and she taught us relativity theory at the same time. So we never complained about not getting an A.

Cuchulainn

June 6th, 2017, 8:42 am

My maths teacher in high school was a skilled ego-terminator: "Einstein was excellent, the rest of us are just good, at best." We couldn't really argue against that obviously, and she taught us relativity theory at the same time. So we never complained about not getting an A.
In my school and alma mater grades were published as in 1, 2,3,,etc.

Cuchulainn

June 6th, 2017, 8:45 am

Bad teacher. Bad relationship.

Besides, Hermann Minkowski considered Einstein a "lazy dog", i.e. weak at maths.

//
What I find amusing is how competitive the country is in all things sports (nationalistic, win the world cup??) but in academia society is happy with '6 mentality'. Doing sport for fun has been destroyed for kids.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on June 6th, 2017, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

frolloos

June 6th, 2017, 9:04 am

What I find amusing is how competitive the country is in all things sports (nationalistic, win the world cup??) but in academia society is happy with '6 mentality'.
She was British.

ppauper
Topic Author

June 6th, 2017, 7:25 pm

What I find amusing is how competitive the country is in all things sports (nationalistic, win the world cup??) but in academia society is happy with '6 mentality'.
cuch, what is '6 mentality'?
is that a dutch thing?

Cuchulainn

June 6th, 2017, 7:33 pm

It's kids being satisfied with getting 6 out of 10 in exams (just a pass).
It is endemic.

It's going that way again in some unis.. people have forgotten the crash.