Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

WillardTeitsmann
Topic Author

Ukraine imposed sanctions against Russian banks operating on the Ukrainian market

March 22nd, 2017, 9:10 am

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/eu ... story.html

Meanwhile the Deputy Head of the National Bank of Ukraine (NBU), Ekaterina Rozhkova has been insisting that the sale of Russian banks' subsidiaries is the best way to leave the Ukrainian market. At the same time she tries to convince customers that sanctioned banks are liquid and can meet their obligations. http://world.24-my.info/russian-banks-i ... -the-sale/

It looks as though NBU has been aiming to buy those subsidiaries and nationalize them. Otherwise the wouldn't be so sure of that, would they?

Any thoughts on this sensitive matter and its consequences? Is it possible that Ukraine would make such a risky undertaking and nationalize subsidiaries of the former foreign partners? Also could some other foreign investors buy them out?

Gamal

Re: Ukraine imposed sanctions against Russian banks operating on the Ukrainian market

March 24th, 2017, 9:53 am

Ukraine doesn't exist in Western minds.

ppauper

Re: Ukraine imposed sanctions against Russian banks operating on the Ukrainian market

March 26th, 2017, 8:48 am

that's not true, references to ukraine abound in our popular culture
who could forget this story about america's sweetheart mila kunis (who voices meg on Family Guy),
Mila Kunis: Ukraine Politician Igor Miroshnichenko's 'Dirty Jew' Slur Sparks Outrage

and who could forget the ukrainians in the italian job,

Paul

March 26th, 2017, 10:07 am

The question is who could remember "The Italian Job" Hollywood remake?

Cuchulainn

March 26th, 2017, 2:13 pm

I didn't even know there was a remake Who played Professor Peach?

ppauper

March 26th, 2017, 7:21 pm

I had to google who Professor Peach was
Seth Green as Lyle (a.k.a. "Napster"), the team's computer expert. He claims he is the real inventor of Napster, saying that Shawn Fanning, who was his roommate at Northeastern University back in 1999, stole the idea from him.

Paul

March 26th, 2017, 7:24 pm

Oh dear! Young people today just don't know the classics.

Cuchulainn

March 26th, 2017, 7:39 pm

I had to google who Professor Peach was
Seth Green as Lyle (a.k.a. "Napster"), the team's computer expert. He claims he is the real inventor of Napster, saying that Shawn Fanning, who was his roommate at Northeastern University back in 1999, stole the idea from him.
"Are they big? I like 'em big! "

ChelseaCole

March 31st, 2017, 2:02 pm

Oh dear! Young people today just don't know the classics.
True :)
Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can. Predicting the next government is one of the easiest steps at political betting. Arthur Ashe

ppauper

April 11th, 2017, 7:26 am

Ukraine's central bank chief resigns
Local disapproval has prompted aggressive stunts, including a coffin being placed outside her house and the image of a pig wrapped in a Russian flag sprayed on her walls.