Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Steve85
Topic Author

Please explain ICO

April 25th, 2017, 8:47 am

Hi Guys, I would just like some more information about ICOs, I see them a lot lately but don't know if it is worth investing in. Any advice would be helpful :) 

ppauper

Re: Please explain ICO

April 26th, 2017, 7:39 pm

I had no idea what ICO stood for, if it's investmentcashout it seems to be a ponzi scheme
still, you got me to look at it which I assume was the goa;

burnrate00

June 11th, 2017, 2:38 pm

You should be a little more clear about acronyms.. anyways I think you're talking about Initial Coin Offerings. An ICO is basically the launch of a new cryptocurrency. Issuers release coins to "early" adopters in order to get financing to cover development expenses. Early adopters, who are long on the new currency, bet that the exchange ratio with "real" money goes up in order to make a profit. They can realize profits by selling their coins or shopping with them at increased purchase power. 
In my opinion, the risks of investing in ICO come from the fact that there are basically no regulations on offerings and coins, nor on issuers. Notwithstanding this, the upsides may be very high, since usually newly issued coins are cheap (since they are still not adopted and used, this means that they are also very illiquid). 
The number of realized ICOs went up in the last few years, making it extremely hard to understand which may be an interesting investing opportunity. 

jaw

June 12th, 2017, 6:57 am

If ICO stands for Initial Coin Offering, it's also a ponzi. :-)

Josesv

November 3rd, 2017, 1:04 am

Excellent contribution!!, That is the meaning of ICO, although I think that invest currency is not always a ponzi system, There were some that in their output generated much useful to investors as in the case of Bitcoin, but others do not have the same luck. But even cryptocurrencies do not have a regulation and may not be an option to invest