Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

tw
Topic Author

Economic theory blogs/forums

May 7th, 2019, 9:06 am

Hi

Don't know if there are any practicing economists in these parts, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend economic theory 
blogs or forums.?
Given current events and political debates I feel there should be more of a pulse to this subject but cannot find it..

trackstar

Re: Economic theory blogs/forums

May 7th, 2019, 10:05 am

Hi

Don't know if there are any practicing economists in these parts, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend economic theory 
blogs or forums.?
Given current events and political debates I feel there should be more of a pulse to this subject but cannot find it..
Found this recently - maybe useful:

https://www.intelligenteconomist.com/ec ... #financial

Of course, some words are really overworked these days - here and elsewhere.

I’d love to see a blog or forum called The Oxymoron Economist.  Or to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being .... you can fill in the blank

In any case, enjoy - there are 100 blogs to choose from on that list of the “best of 2018.”

For Forums, I like the comments on the FT site.

tw
Topic Author

May 8th, 2019, 9:58 am

Hi

blogs or forums.?
Found this recently - maybe useful:

https://www.intelligenteconomist.com/ec ... #financial

Of course, some words are really overworked these days - here and elsewhere.

I’d love to see a blog or forum called The Oxymoron Economist.  Or to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being .... you can fill in the blank

In any case, enjoy - there are 100 blogs to choose from on that list of the “best of 2018.”

For Forums, I like the comments on the FT site.
Thanks so much! That looks a fair amount to chew on.

I am continually surprised at the fact that, given the inherently controversial nature of modern monetary policy (i.e. is the emperor wearing clothes?) 
there is not more of a buzz around modern economics, with some alternative theoretical frameworks trying to shake things up. 
If only for the reason we now have 10 years more data from extreme market environments to analyse since Lehmans. 

katastrofa

May 8th, 2019, 3:51 pm

No Alphaville and Krugman? :-O

ISayMoo

May 9th, 2019, 8:24 am

tw
Topic Author

May 10th, 2019, 10:34 am

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The poverty of the economicists' responses to the the recent political rejection of neoliberalism
(for want of a better phrase) from both left and right, I find telling.

Clearly (and rightfully) there is a great deal of commentary on inequality there seems a lack of proposed solutions.

The tone of some of the arch neoliberals in the 80s/90s was very hubristic e.g. "The End of History" or Thatcher's
"there is no alternative".

Now, as all that stuff is being quietly jettisoned, I would have hoped that someone what have taken "there is no alternative"
as a challenge rather than a bland declaration.

ISayMoo

May 10th, 2019, 11:23 am

Clearly (and rightfully) there is a great deal of commentary on inequality
A lot of which is just virtue signalling.

Some more academic blogs:

http://marketdesigner.blogspot.com/
https://web.stanford.edu/~alroth/alroth.html

katastrofa

May 10th, 2019, 7:49 pm

BTW, I saw someone very similar to Krugman on the underground today. It was surely my sleepy brain defragmenting this forum topic as I know that fat finance cats don't use underground. Or has he come to advise us on Brexit?

bearish

May 10th, 2019, 11:04 pm

One may use any number of terms to describe Krugman, but fat finance cat is probably not one of the most accurate. Unless you were really referring to his cat... I attended a panel discussion that he was on recently, and he can be fairly engaging. And annoying, I guess. When he was at Princeton I would occasionally see him on the train.

tw
Topic Author

May 11th, 2019, 8:03 am

BTW, I saw someone very similar to Krugman on the underground today. It was surely my sleepy brain defragmenting this forum topic as I know that fat finance cats don't use underground. Or has he come to advise us on Brexit?
I once sat next to Varoufakis (sp?) on the Circle Line. Definitely not a fat cat but I suspect not just a humble academic.

It was tempting to ask his female companion if the gossip was true and she was the subject of the Pulp song "common people"

katastrofa

May 11th, 2019, 11:50 am

One may use any number of terms to describe Krugman, but fat finance cat is probably not one of the most accurate. Unless you were really referring to his cat... I attended a panel discussion that he was on recently, and he can be fairly engaging. And annoying, I guess. When he was at Princeton I would occasionally see him on the train.
His commentary on Easter European affairs used to annoy me, but now that it's coming from Trump's America, it's rather amuses me.

I'm pretty convinced that the guy was him (travelling with another guy, whom I couldn't recognise). He's indeed tiny - I towered over him with my modest 5'8'', but he gave me such a big angry look for staring at him that for a moment I felt like a pregnant teenager in Alabama.

tw
Topic Author

May 20th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Clearly (and rightfully) there is a great deal of commentary on inequality
A lot of which is just virtue signalling.

Some more academic blogs:

http://marketdesigner.blogspot.com/
https://web.stanford.edu/~alroth/alroth.html
Thanks!

The existence of rebuilding macroeconomics suggests there is some acknowledgement of the need for improvement:
Our aim is to transform macroeconomics into a policy-relevant social science.

Athletico

July 7th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Anyone following Ole Peters blog?

Ergodicity Economics

He is a Santa Fe Institute researcher trying (since 2010 or so) to rewrite Expected Utility Theory using ergodicity, replacing ensemble expectations with time-averages whenever appropriate. 

But it seems to me Aaron Brown did something similar in his book "Red Blooded Risk"...

tags

July 7th, 2019, 7:29 pm

Anyone following Ole Peters blog?

Ergodicity Economics

He is a Santa Fe Institute researcher trying (since 2010 or so) to rewrite Expected Utility Theory using ergodicity, replacing ensemble expectations with time-averages whenever appropriate. 

But it seems to me Aaron Brown did something similar in his book "Red Blooded Risk"...
Incidentally, I came across this essay On time and risk yesterday, by the same author, thanks to another wilmotter (el maestrisimo), and was willing to ask what people here think about it. All comments (other than those about the proper use of commas in English language, obviously) welcome. Thank you.

bearish

July 8th, 2019, 12:37 am

He seems like a crank, but a pretty competent one.