Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

list1

Re: Fed Prepares for Further Quant Easing

October 15th, 2017, 10:54 am

First, the financial problem was called surplus value problem. Which probably was discovered by Karl Marx. Surplus was not invested in the areas where it comes from. Where it was used is other problem.
Now values of 'surplus' in some countries have similar level as budgets which now needed to be replenished by issuing bonds and buying them before expirations. Besides hidden 'surplus' military expenses , wars do not be considered as 'investments' in economy. For such 'budget' needs countries are printing and pumping money in economy. Some experts are feeling that the current period is like time before the system adjustment for unsystematic economical and financial risks.

ppauper

October 26th, 2017, 7:59 am

Jerome Powell likely next Fed chief?
my preference would be for the fed to be abolished (and replaced by nothing), or failing that, Dr Ron Paul appointed as fed chair

I'm not familiar with Jerome Powell, but the article seems to suggest he would be very similar to Janet Yellen, so more of the same

ppauper

November 2nd, 2017, 8:56 pm

jerome powell it is

people seem to think there won't be much change?

ppauper

December 14th, 2017, 12:06 pm

ppauper

January 24th, 2018, 7:12 am

jerome powell it is

confirmed 84-13 by the senate
the 13 nays:
Blumenthal (D-CT), Booker (D-NJ), Feinstein (D-CA), Gillibrand (D-NY), Harris (D-CA), Markey (D-MA), Merkley (D-OR), Sanders (I-VT), Warren (D-MA)
along with Ted Cruz (R-TX), Mike Lee (R-UT), Rand Paul (R-KY), Marco Rubio (R, FL)

bearish

January 24th, 2018, 12:13 pm

jerome powell it is

confirmed 84-13 by the senate
the 13 nays:
Blumenthal (D-CT), Booker (D-NJ), Feinstein (D-CA), Gillibrand (D-NY), Harris (D-CA), Markey (D-MA), Merkley (D-OR), Sanders (I-VT), Warren (D-MA)
along with Ted Cruz (R-TX), Mike Lee (R-UT), Rand Paul (R-KY), Marco Rubio (R, FL)
If Sanders, Warren, Cruz and Paul are all against somebody, I would be strongly in favor of whomever they may be.

ppauper

January 24th, 2018, 1:07 pm

If Sanders, Warren, Cruz and Paul are all against somebody, I would be strongly in favor of whomever they may be.
I believe they were all against Donald Trump during the campaign, which makes you strongly in favor of President Trump

bearish

January 24th, 2018, 1:58 pm

I believe they were all against Donald Trump during the campaign, which makes you strongly in favor of President Trump
The exception that proves the rule...

ppauper

June 13th, 2018, 7:31 pm

fed raises rates by a quarter, two more raises expected this year
the economy is booming under President Trump

tags

June 13th, 2018, 7:38 pm

fed raises rates by a quarter, two more raises expected this year
the economy is booming under President Trump
I don't remember you have shown a single chart from shadowstats.com since Trump took the lead of the country.

bearish

August 27th, 2019, 1:16 pm

Bill Dudley, former president of the NY Fed, has a thoughtful opinion piece on Bloomberg today where he argues that the Fed should not enable Trump’s reckless trade war and that given Trump’s vicious attacks on the institution and its chairman it would be appropriate for the Fed to take into account the impact of their actions on the 2020 election. Not to put too fine a point on it, they should let the economy slide into a recession to make a disastrous Trump reelection less likely.

gardener3

August 31st, 2019, 4:42 pm

Bill Dudley, former president of the NY Fed, has a thoughtful opinion piece on Bloomberg today where he argues that the Fed should not enable Trump’s reckless trade war and that given Trump’s vicious attacks on the institution and its chairman it would be appropriate for the Fed to take into account the impact of their actions on the 2020 election. Not to put too fine a point on it, they should let the economy slide into a recession to make a disastrous Trump reelection less likely.
That would mean that Trump has succeeded in politicizing the fed.  Playing around with rates to influence elections would be a gross abuse of power to say the least. 

bearish

August 31st, 2019, 7:32 pm

In this case it would mean not playing around with rates, just leaving them where they are. Of course, you are right, but this seems to be a case of the Fed being politicized one way or the other. Another Trump term would see the likes of Larry Kudlow and Tiffany Trump in charge.