Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

farmer
Topic Author

a quick explanation of QE and inflation

May 5th, 2014, 10:48 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ctabetterI think you do otherwise it's all bunkNot necessarily. We can accept that gravity, and QE not causing inflation, are both demonstrated in the real world. But no matter what you know, there is always room for theory as to why it is so, why gravity exists, why QE has not caused inflation.I have real-world examples that young people crash cars. Is there some reason I should not theorize why they do? Or suppose I get some real world examples, and find out they crash because they are drunk, or because they are misled by experience to think crashing is unlikely. Would I then be wrong to theorize why they get drunk, or why they draw these wrong conclusions?And suppose I found anecdotes of specific young people, so that I knew why they got drunk and drove, or what their exact experiences and thinking about the experiences was. Would it be correct to assume those isolated examples were true in all cases, where no alternate theory could be true in any cases about which I did not have exact facts?

farmer
Topic Author

May 5th, 2014, 12:05 pm

Also, in macroeconomics there are no control groups or laboratory experiments. And there is a huge myriad of factors and things going on at once. So people can use "real world" examples to show almost anything, if they are dishonest. And then it takes an even bigger pool of real-world examples to prove them wrong. The most common outcome of anything with so many data points, is that you end up not really being able to conclude anything, not by simply running a mathematical analysis of the data.So before you crunch 10 million numbers, it is best to refine for some time whatever theory you might get around to testing with additional data. And this involves comparing the theory to anecdotes, refining it, and looking for events that can come out of left field and disprove your theory with no work at all.Another theory is that QE, or low interest rates in general, lead to what is known as "rationing by the hassle factor." In the US, you can get a free doctor visit by going to the emergency room. But since there are not unlimited doctors, these visits are rationed based on who is willing to sit for 10 hours waiting to see a doctor. From retail queues in the USSR, to gas lines in the US, we see that any time a price is fixed at a low level, some other method is used to select what subset of people who demand the good get it.It may be that low interest rates in Europe are rationing capital by economies of scale. There is low demand to borrow among small businesses, because the cost of applying for a loan is spread across a lower loan size. With a fixed amount of, for example, commercial real estate in the short term, it might be that raising interest rates would cause that real estate to be allocated to a different portfolio of businesses. That is when land is rationed based on ability to pay interest rates, rather than based on the man hours required to obtain the loan compared to the size of the loan.In the US, social welfare programs are free. But their use is dominated by people who have the cultural know-how, and the energy and intelligence, to fill out the applications and get approved. Probably a person who has such low social skills that he cannot even be taught how to pick up trash, will not know how to apply for welfare either. So we see that things which are low-cost or free, whether loans or anything else, are often consumed by a less diverse population than things with a higher cash cost.One time I was at the emergency room, and there was a whole row of seats taken up by gay hookers. They all knew each other, and acted like they owned the place, telling other people where to sit, calling the security guard by name, and such. One of them commented "we are here every day." It is possible that charging them even $10 to see a doctor would have raised the average health in the community served by that hospital. It is possible that having some interest rate, rather than no interest rate, can have a large impact on the types of borrowers who get loans, and on the health of the economy.
Last edited by farmer on May 4th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ctabetter

May 6th, 2014, 8:08 am

You must be unemployed

farmer
Topic Author

May 6th, 2014, 10:54 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ctabetterYou must be unemployedYou got that right! There is no way I am going to go churn out tax revenue for these faggots like a bunny in a cage, when I can instead do this stuff all day, the most fun thing in the world.I take it you are one of these working zombies, who tries to drive down the same street each morning 0.1 miles per hour faster than the high-speed zombie next to him?What's your goal, my little roomba, new Ikea in the highrise? I bet you are one of those short dudes I see in the parking lot down at the office park, with the tight belt from eating lunch. We have to find you a fat little wife, as a civilizing influence to counter your wild weekends at TGI Fridays.

farmer
Topic Author

May 6th, 2014, 11:27 am

QuoteOriginally posted by: ctabetterYou must be unemployedIf you ever get tired of the smell of office-kitchen microwaved noodles, I have a Plan B for you: Get shin implants. Then you will be able to find a girlfriend without having to lease a miniature BMW.