Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan

Parallel RNG and distributed MC

August 11th, 2012, 6:05 pm

I was reading the docs a little on that. On pg 398 of the user guide, it sounds like you have to start in the US-East(I am currently on US-West) and begin with what amazon calls a HVM-ami from one of their templates.Maybe that means a whole new install of everything?

Alan

August 11th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Yeah, I created an ami just now (it was indeed easy), then stopped the orig. instance and logged out.So, I am done for the day on this.It has been remarkably easy, so far, given all your help -- thanks again.Will think about some things to do next ..

Alan

August 12th, 2012, 12:31 pm

So, as far as things to do next, at some point I would like to move on to larger size instances to see the performance gain.I have the vague feeling I can simply use my saved ami on the "High-CPU Extra Large Instance".I also have a vague feeling I can't do that on the "cluster compute instances".

Alan

August 12th, 2012, 2:54 pm

Yes, both the GPU project and multi-machine version would be interesting.Thinking about the latter, how much trouble would it be for both you and I to doubleour (free tier) performance by letting each of our instances request jobs from the other's machine?

Alan

August 13th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Later on, maybe we [meaning you ] can figure out how to use Star Cluster. Look at the section on built-in ami's. (also includes GPU ami's)

Polter

August 13th, 2012, 2:48 pm

QuoteOriginally posted by: Alan Later on, maybe we [meaning you ] can figure out how to use Star Cluster. Look at the section on built-in ami's. (also includes GPU ami's)BTW, does anyone here know how do solutions like these compare to BOINC?

Alan

August 21st, 2012, 12:24 pm

Sounds very clever. Will need detailed instructions.