Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Alan
Topic Author

Re: The vaccines

January 4th, 2022, 2:45 pm

I think it is generally acknowledged (at least in America) that many people do not get enough Vitamin D, to the detriment of their health. I expect that at least part of the Vitamin D/COVID relationship is (a) just general health better; and (b) more awareness of health risks and actions to address them.
I agree -- plus there is a strong correlation of covid death rates with obesity 

Collector

January 4th, 2022, 2:47 pm

"Just for the record, I’ve recently doubled my dose of D3 capsules."  okay just took one year of me yelling at u for u to get the wake up call...not bad I expected it would take about 3 years!

I am more concerned about the Swedish King and Queen, they just got Covid-19 now (those wild chirstmas parties) and the Swedes abandoned tran culture 50 years ago... 

bearish

January 4th, 2022, 3:11 pm

Thank you for nagging! Oh, and just for the benefit of the small number of non-speakers of Norwegian around here, “tran” is cod liver oil.

Collector

January 4th, 2022, 3:19 pm

I doubt actually cod liver oil is best source of D vit. Supposedly they destroy the natural D vitamin in the processing there and have to add D into it after processing, plus high dose tran will give u too much A vitamin (A toxic at high dose). Further there was just on front page of a paper here that too much Omega 3 was linked to some potential heart problems, I have not looked into the paper so not sure if junk science or not. So yes I take high concentrate D3 capsules, and in summer expose my muscles to the sun. 

Alan
Topic Author

January 7th, 2022, 1:29 pm

Live oral argument in front of SCOTUS re Biden admin vaccine mandates can be heard in about 90 mins (10am EST, Jan 7) here

Alan
Topic Author

January 10th, 2022, 5:44 pm

This just in:

Los Angeles, Ca, Jan. 10, 2022. The consortium of US cable companies that run C-SPAN have just announced the creation of a new cable tv channel called CO-SPAN, presenting 24 hr/day covid news and programming. Some features will include:

- A stock-type ticker running along the bottom of the screen showing case counts around the world.
- Celebrity hour, featuring interviews with your favorite celebrities that have caught covid.
- Vaccine hour, where viewers call in to discuss their latest vax experiences.
- Mask-o-rama: reviews of all the latest mask designs, and Hollywood gossip about who's wearing what.   

katastrofa

January 10th, 2022, 7:18 pm

I was wondering about a simple way of limiting the Covid spread in close spaces. Since we know that the increasing rate of infections in the cold season is related to low air humidity. In the humid summer air, water particles mechanically limit the transmission range of viruses and, additionally, the electrical charges of the ions likely “annihilate” them - i have to rethink this one yet). Why not install humidifiers (much cheaper and eco friendly than sometimes suggested HEPA filters, btw).

Alan
Topic Author

January 10th, 2022, 8:15 pm

I like it. So, a wetter, warmer world -- the one predicted by climate change -- reduces the risk from respiratory tract viruses. 
I wonder if we'll ever hear that from the IPCC?

katastrofa

January 10th, 2022, 9:09 pm

No way! I just bought skøyting skis and had my first ride a couple of days ago. 15 km in 2,5 h! (What I now do in 1,5h in classic skis). On the final uphills I moved like Quasimodo. I should recover enough for the next ride by tomorrow! No climate warming until I get bored of skiing, please :-D

bearish

January 10th, 2022, 9:58 pm

No way! I just bought skøyting skis and had my first ride a couple of days ago. 15 km in 2,5 h! (What I now do in 1,5h in classic skis). On the final uphills I moved like Quasimodo. I should recover enough for the next ride by tomorrow! No climate warming until I get bored of skiing, please :-D
You’re getting seriously hard core! I retired from active XC skiing competition at about the same time that Bill Koch revolutionized the sport with his skating. And then it went totally nuts.

katastrofa

January 12th, 2022, 2:22 pm

Hardcore? Me?
Attachments
449CE5C3-D761-4092-9484-84D960FFA478.jpeg

bearish

January 12th, 2022, 8:06 pm

Hardcore? Me?
That is tagoma bait!

bearish

January 17th, 2022, 1:16 am

So CS just appointed one of the Lehmann brothers as Chairman, since their prior head had followed too closely in the footsteps of Cummings and Johnson. Very regretfully, of course. They did stop short of offering thoughts and prayers, though.

kc11415

January 17th, 2022, 6:43 am

So CS just appointed one of the Lehmann brothers as Chairman, since their prior head had followed too closely in the footsteps of Cummings and Johnson. Very regretfully, of course. They did stop short of offering thoughts and prayers, though.
details, please ?
All standard disclaimers apply, and then some.

bearish

January 17th, 2022, 2:21 pm

details, please ?
From Bloomberg: “Credit Suisse Group AG’s Chairman Antonio Horta-Osorio resigned after just nine months in the role, following a series of missteps including reported breaches of Swiss and U.K. quarantine rules that eroded confidence in his leadership.

His departure follows an investigation commissioned by the board, Zurich-based Credit Suisse said in a statement Monday. The bank named board member Axel P. Lehmann as Horta-Osorio’s replacement, effective immediately.”