SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

rmax

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

September 13th, 2018, 12:09 pm

hopefully he's actually been to Ireland
I think we all remember when Obama was appointing large contributors to ambassadorships
Obama nominee for ambassador to Argentina says he's NEVER been to the country

President Obama's A-list campaign fundraisers are turning out to be B-list ambassador nominees
Do you need to have gone to country before being Ambassador there?
it helps to have some familiarity
Agreed. A bit like world leaders vaguely knowing what countries are called.

bearish

September 13th, 2018, 12:43 pm

Do you need to have gone to country before being Ambassador there?
it helps to have some familiarity
Agreed. A bit like world leaders vaguely knowing what countries are called.
Nambia!

ppauper

September 13th, 2018, 1:50 pm

or knowing how many states there are Obama's been to 57. Insert joke about Heinz, whose widow John Kerry married.

as for Britain/Great Britain/United Kingdom, we've discussed it before, and the wikipedia page for the UK sheds some light
The term "Britain" is often used as synonym for the United Kingdom. The term "Great Britain", by contrast, refers conventionally to the island of Great Britain, or politically to England, Scotland and Wales in combination. However, it is sometimes used as a loose synonym for the United Kingdom as a whole. GB and GBR are the standard country codes for the United Kingdom (see ISO 3166-2 and ISO 3166-1 alpha-3) and are consequently used by international organisations to refer to the United Kingdom. Additionally, the United Kingdom's Olympic team competes under the name "Great Britain" or "Team GB".
and
The adjective "British" is commonly used to refer to matters relating to the United Kingdom. The term has no definite legal connotation, but is used in law to refer to United Kingdom citizenship and matters to do with nationality. People of the United Kingdom use a number of different terms to describe their national identity and may identify themselves as being British; or as being English, Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish, or Irish; or as being both.
According to wiki, people do indeed refer to the UK as both Britain and Great Britain.
But that's the fake news media like esquire for you. Even when President Trump is correct, as wikipedia shows he was, esquire says he was wrong.

ppauper

September 13th, 2018, 2:00 pm

the deep state has tentacles everywhere

Bob Woodward has been an FBI asset since Deep Throat

that's according to a 2012 state department email from sidney blumenthal to "H" (Hillary) released by the state department under a foia request (freedom of information act)

sadly the huffington post article referred to in the email seems to be long gone

rmax

September 14th, 2018, 8:36 am

Esquire is Fake News... OK I buy it. Is there a list somewhere so I can easily find out which websites are part of the Fake News circle and which are not? I kind of would guess that the "non Fake News" websites will be Russia Today, TASS and anything owned by Murdoch...

rmax

September 14th, 2018, 8:41 am

the deep state has tentacles everywhere

Bob Woodward has been an FBI asset since Deep Throat

that's according to a 2012 state department email from sidney blumenthal to "H" (Hillary) released by the state department under a foia request (freedom of information act)

sadly the huffington post article referred to in the email seems to be long gone
Can you let me know what this "Deep State" is trying to achieve and who is behind it? And just to give you a heads up: if you start saying that there are a bunch of reptiles running the US of A I might not take you seriously.

bearish

September 14th, 2018, 10:17 am

Esquire is Fake News... OK I buy it. Is there a list somewhere so I can easily find out which websites are part of the Fake News circle and which are not? I kind of would guess that the "non Fake News" websites will be Russia Today, TASS and anything owned by Murdoch...
He just posted a helpful picture of some of them on the Twitter thread in the OT. The most inviolable and holy sources of truth are Breitbart, Infowars, and the Washington Times (which almost sounds like a real newspaper).

ppauper

September 15th, 2018, 8:16 am

meanwhile, the left is up in arms because the new curtains for the (US) UN ambassador's residence in NYC cost $52,000
for example,
Dear Nikki Haley,

There are starving children in America everyday and you have the audacity to misappropriate thousands of tax dollars for your own lavish lifestyle. Resign immediately

sincerely,

America https://t.co/j9h5t50GPb

— David Hogg (@davidhogg111) September 14, 2018
the only problem is that the order was placed in 2016 by the obama administration (by Patrick Kennedy no less, of Benghazi fame)

bearish

September 15th, 2018, 11:23 pm

I don't think we have a Steve Bannon thread, so this is probably the most appropriate place to post about him in general. I was in the front row, approximately 5 yards away from him, this morning at the OpenFuture NYC event arranged by The Economist, when he replied to an audience question as to what regime anywhere in the world at any time that favored the working class (which was his big shtick with nationalist populism) and his answer was the US in the 19th century. Say no more...

ppauper

September 16th, 2018, 7:03 am

meanwhile, the left is up in arms because the new curtains for the (US) UN ambassador's residence in NYC cost $52,000
for example,
Dear Nikki Haley,

There are starving children in America everyday and you have the audacity to misappropriate thousands of tax dollars for your own lavish lifestyle. Resign immediately

sincerely,

America https://t.co/j9h5t50GPb

— David Hogg (@davidhogg111) September 14, 2018
the only problem is that the order was placed in 2016 by the obama administration (by Patrick Kennedy no less, of Benghazi fame)
this is from the original NYT article, which was of course fake news
State Department Spent $52,701 on Curtains for Nikki Haley’s Residence
The State Department spent $52,701 last year buying customized and mechanized curtains for the picture windows in Nikki R. Haley’s official residence as ambassador to the United Nations, just as the department was undergoing deep budget cuts and had frozen hiring.
The residence, in a new building on First Avenue, has spectacular views, and Ms. Haley is the first ambassador to live in it.”
the article was written by fake news reporter Gardiner Harris, who put out a tweet promoting it
Gardiner Harris @GardinerHarris
Nikki Haley’s View of New York Is Priceless. Her Curtains? $52,701. https://nyti.ms/2N92rla
and fellow NYT fake news reporter Edward Wong tweeted in support,
“State Dept., suffering from budget cuts, paid $52,000 for curtains in Nikki Haley’s Manhattan apartment. Scoop by @GardinerHarris. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/us/p ... tains.html … The rent is $58,000 per month. Taxpayer funded.”

bearish

September 16th, 2018, 12:29 pm

The drapes of wrath!

ppauper

September 16th, 2018, 1:16 pm

The drapes of wrath!
indeed, and notice the double standard: the NYT thought it was the crime of the century when they thought Amb. Haley was responsible. Turns out it was the Obama administration (and Patrick Kennedy has been named) and the NYT is no longer interested.
So why wasn't this a huge story in 2016 when the Obama administration signed the lease (and ordered the curtains)?
It's like the secure phone booth all over again.
Obama's Energy Secretary spent $1.2M on a secure communications room. And I'm not criticizing him for that: if it was needed then it was needed.
When Administrator Pruitt spent $43k on a secure phone booth, the Dems decided it was "office furniture" and manufactured outrage.
And before you know it, the haters start referring to Administrator Pruitt as "ethically challenged"
The original story does have a point.
I'm not sure why the US ambassador to the UN needs an official residence, much less one that costs $58,000 a month. Would cost less to fly (commercial) someone up from DC every day. Or take the Acela. If they want to hold receptions, use their offices.
Or give the job to someone like Guiliani who lives in NYC anyway

ISayMoo

September 16th, 2018, 1:30 pm

I don't think we have a Steve Bannon thread, so this is probably the most appropriate place to post about him in general. I was in the front row, approximately 5 yards away from him, this morning at the OpenFuture NYC event arranged by The Economist, when he replied to an audience question as to what regime anywhere in the world at any time that favored the working class (which was his big shtick with nationalist populism) and his answer was the US in the 19th century. Say no more...
Yeah, that's ahistoric BS. US in the 19th century favored the capitalists and the landowners.

ppauper

September 16th, 2018, 2:14 pm

I believe he was making an allusion to slavery.
The gilded age (from slightly after the end of the civil war until the turn of the century) was good for workers: wiki tells me
The Gilded Age was an era of rapid economic growth, especially in the North and West. As American wages were much higher than those in Europe, especially for skilled workers, the period saw an influx of millions of European immigrants. The rapid expansion of industrialization led to real wage growth of 60% between 1860 and 1890, spread across the ever-increasing labor force. The average annual wage per industrial worker (including men, women, and children) rose from $380 in 1880 to $564 in 1890, a gain of 48%
and then there was Andrew Jackson slaying the central bank before the civil war.

bearish

September 16th, 2018, 2:45 pm

A workers' paradise! We might recall that the US was just coming out of a brutal 7-year depression that followed the panic of 1873, brought by rampant speculation and the lack of a central bank... So in comparison it wouldn't take much to look "gilded". And then there was that little race thing going on, but those people don't count in Bannon's world.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On