SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ppauper

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

December 18th, 2018, 10:33 am

Anti-Trump dossier author was hired to help Hillary challenge 2016 election results
British ex-spy Christopher Steele, who wrote the Democrat-financed anti-Trump dossier, said in a court case that he was hired by a Democratic law firm in preparation for Hillary Clinton challenging the results of the 2016 presidential election.
He said the law firm Perkins Coie wanted to be in a position to contest the results based on evidence he unearthed on the Trump campaign conspiring with Moscow on election interference.
so much for accepting the results of the election

bearish

December 18th, 2018, 10:53 am

Even the WT is struggling to make up a story here. Steele was hired by “a Democratic law firm”, whatever that may be, and no law suit was filed.

ppauper

December 18th, 2018, 11:23 am

Even the WT is struggling to make up a story here. Steele was hired by “a Democratic law firm”, whatever that may be, and no law suit was filed.
let me help you out here (wiki)
Perkins Coie is counsel of record for the Democratic National Committee, Democratic Leadership Council, the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, and the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee. Other political clients include nearly all Democratic members of the United States Congress. It has also represented several presidential campaigns, including those of John Kerry, Barack Obama, and Hillary Clinton.
and as you say (the WT story),
The Democrats never filed a challenge, but Mr. Steele’s answer suggested that was one option inside the Clinton camp, which funded Mr. Steele’s research along with the Democratic National Committee.

bearish

December 18th, 2018, 12:10 pm

In a tweet yesterday Trump threatens legal action against NBC for “unfair news coverage” of him on Saturday Night Live. For those of you not familiar with US television, SNL is a variety show that has been running since the 70’s. While it contains commentary, often satirical, on current events, nobody in their right mind would confuse it with “news”.

ppauper

December 18th, 2018, 1:08 pm

In a tweet yesterday Trump threatens legal action against NBC for “unfair news coverage” of him on Saturday Night Live. For those of you not familiar with US television, SNL is a variety show that has been running since the 70’s. While it contains commentary, often satirical, on current events, nobody in their right mind would confuse it with “news”.
as so often, what you say is untrue on so many levels
What the president actually tweeted (and the day before yesterday, not yesterday)

bearish

December 18th, 2018, 1:56 pm

Of course, if Trump remains in power long enough, his judges will find offending journalists and comedians guilty of lese majeste and have them summarily executed. He can get some protips from his good friend MbS on the gory details.

ppauper

December 18th, 2018, 2:52 pm

I believe the Obama administration prosecuted an awful lot of journalists (more than all other presidents combined?)

bearish

December 18th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Yes, although it was a single digit number and generally related to leaking of classified materials involving intelligence operations, not for being mean and unfair to the president.

ppauper

December 18th, 2018, 3:34 pm

Yes, although it was a single digit number and generally related to leaking of classified materials involving intelligence operations, not for being mean and unfair to the president.
which brings us to the Mueller witch-hunt, which is reportedly targeting at least two journalists who are most definitely on the Obama enemies list
Dr Jerome Corsi ("as he likes to call himself," as one liberal broadsheet said last week, or "who has a PhD from Harvard" as I would have phrased it) and Mr Roger Stone, both or who either work for Infowars, or did so in the very recent past.
Mr Stone was responsible for the Clinton Rape shirt during the 2016 campaign, which was a copy of the Obama Hope shirt with "Hope" replaced by "Rape" and a picture of Bill Clinton instead of Obama.
Dr Corsi played a prominent role in the 2004 presidential campaign while working for World  Net Daily. He wrote a book on Kerry's military career which helped Bush 2 secure reelection. And he did a lot of reporting on Obama's birth certificate

During the Nixon administration, there was an incident very similar to wikileaks.
An analyst working for the RAND corporation (daniel ellsberg) stole a bunch of classified documents which showed inter alia that JFK and LBJ had lied to the American people about the reasons for US involvement in Vietnam. SCOTUS decided that the press had a right to publish that material (the Nixon administration had sought an injunction to prevent publication), and although ellsberg was I think prosecuted, the journalists never were.
I'm not sure I see the difference between Julian Assange publishing the stuff that Snowden and Manning stole and the NYT/WaPo publishing the stuff that Ellsberg stole.

Alan
Topic Author

December 18th, 2018, 11:52 pm

Everybody gets it by now that Trump's game is the "art of the bluff". (Although maybe Trump himself hasn't caught on yet that everybody gets it). 

Having said that, as a long-time watcher of NBC nightly news, I sometimes do cringe at the spin.

bearish

December 19th, 2018, 2:16 am

Yeah, but is it really spin? When you have a criminal in the White House, what is the proper way to report the news? There is not a whole lot of precedence to lean on. Of course, we will have our friend stop by shortly to point out all the people Hilary raped and Bill killed, but that just him. In the real world, this is new territory.

Alan
Topic Author

December 19th, 2018, 3:51 am

I know your question is rhetorical.
But if it wasn't, one answer would be: try to adopt the Wikipedia "neutral point of view":

All ... content on Wikipedia must be written from a neutral point of view, which means representing fairly, proportionately, and, as far as possible, without editorial bias, all of the significant views ..

ISayMoo

December 19th, 2018, 10:00 am

I'm with Alan on this one. I don't like when the media try to push emotional buttons. It feels manipulative.

bearish

December 20th, 2018, 2:32 am

Trump made a stunningly stupid, even for him, statement today on Syria. It was a "don't ask don't tell" kind of thing, where he announced the withdrawal of thousands of troops without asking or telling people like the Pentagon or the senate armed services committee. Because, who are they, really? And he needed to detract attention from his other disasters.

ppauper

December 20th, 2018, 8:31 am

if the president is pulling ground troops out of Syria, then I and the rest of the base are happy. Obama should never have got the US involved in someone else's war. Let allah sort it out.
If the Europeans think Syria is important, let them do it.
Which reminds me. The neo-con home journal, the weekly standard (founded by William Kristol and Freddie the Beadle Barnes) shuttered last week
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On