SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Alan
Topic Author

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

October 4th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Nice editorial today by Peggy Noonan in WSJ. Since it's behind a paywall, here's an extended excerpt:

" … Mr. Schiff’s weakness, at least in public, appears to be lack of judgment. You could see it last week in his questioning of the acting director of national intelligence.

Joseph Maguire had been on the job in this high-turnover administration for all of six weeks. He’s a serious looking guy, joined the Navy in 1974, was 33 years a Navy SEAL, rose to vice admiral. Speaking under oath he said, “I am not partisan and I am not political.” He’s from a long line of those who’ve served: “When I took my uniform off in July of 2010, it was the first time in 70 years that an immediate member of my family was not wearing the cloth of the nation.”

This guy is a citizen. He said he supports whistleblowing, that he got the whistleblower complaint a few weeks into his tenure, reviewed it, consulted with lawyers, tried to determine if the complaint was subject to executive privilege. The day before the hearing, the White House had released the transcript of the call, and he felt that allowed him to reveal the complaint, unredacted.

He said he believed the whistleblower and the inspector general did nothing wrong, did everything by the book. He believes this matter is “unprecedented.” Deeper in his testimony he said “I believe the whistleblower is operating in good faith,” and “I think the whistleblower did the right thing.” He expressed no skepticism at all.

It was pretty explosive!

Mr. Schiff didn’t see it for what it was and rise to the moment. He proceeded to beat Mr. Maguire around the head, grilling him and interrupting answers. You went to the White House. You told the president’s lawyers. Why didn’t you come to me sooner? He fixated on “sequencing” and “chronology.”

He seemed to miss the story totally and have no sense of how people at home would experience it. He was weirdly hostile. I was watching at home like an American and thought: What’s wrong with you? The nation’s top spy, who appears thoroughly upstanding, is expressing no skepticism about a complaint that alleges his boss, the president, is kind of a bum.

How could you miss that? You’d have to be blinded. By what?

During Watergate there was a guy called Peter Rodino of New Jersey, head of the House Judiciary Committee—Democrat, Newark, pretty tough guy. He was no child, he was no naïf, he was a party man. But he was judicious and capable and ran his committee well. After it voted to impeach Nixon, he got on the phone with his wife and wept. “You know, he was our president,” he told Susan Stamberg of NPR in 1989.

That’s what the Democrats need, someone who’d be genuinely sad at taking out a president."

bearish

October 4th, 2019, 7:47 pm

I can go along with some of her argument, but she completely loses me at the end. The genuine sadness for the country and the institution of the presidency should, in the current case, be reserved for the fact that they have been dragged into the gutter by Trump. Taking him out should only bring joy.

Paul

October 4th, 2019, 9:30 pm

I believe the word is "optics." (Another word we've got from the Yanks recently. To me an optic is a non-drip spirit measure you attach to a bottle of gin.) 

You want to see someone who isn't biased.

You won't like the example but we have Nigel Farage. People say that he's on the EU gravy train, but it's a rather trivial observation that he and the other Brexit Party MEPs are the only ones trying to get off it. If they win then they lose their jobs.  

bearish

October 4th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Well, that's an easy one. He's an MEP for the sole and singular purpose of doing as much damage to the EU as he possibly can. Any collateral damage to the UK is entirely acceptable, because well, fuck it, we shouldn't be in here to begin with! And, if newspaper reports are to be believed (iffy proposition), he is not exactly poor. 

Paul

October 5th, 2019, 1:16 am

I think he's more concerned about the UK than what happens to the EU! 

Why is everyone obsessed with money and the economy? It's such a limited and limiting way of looking at things.

bearish

October 5th, 2019, 1:49 am

Well, you're the local, you probably know better. He may indeed have the greater good of England in mind. And, it certainly is not about the economy at large, but merely about his personal fortune. In fact, if most other people are poorer, not being much poorer is a win.

bearish

October 7th, 2019, 5:09 pm

An actual tweet from Trump today (you can’t make this stuff up):

“As I have stated strongly before, and just to reiterate, if Turkey does anything that I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, consider to be off limits...”

A very stable genius indeed!

bearish

October 8th, 2019, 2:27 am

Consider being a Trump whistleblower. If he finds out who you are, he will kill you. And there will be no consequences. Because, why would there be? Lindsey Graham? Background sounds of people throwing up... 

bearish

October 8th, 2019, 9:15 pm

In a not unexpected plot twist, Trump and his administration will simply ignore the impeachment inquiry. Because it doesn’t make him look good...

Gamal

October 9th, 2019, 6:38 am

I believe the word is "optics." (Another word we've got from the Yanks recently. To me an optic is a non-drip spirit measure you attach to a bottle of gin.) 

You want to see someone who isn't biased.

You won't like the example but we have Nigel Farage. People say that he's on the EU gravy train, but it's a rather trivial observation that he and the other Brexit Party MEPs are the only ones trying to get off it. If they win then they lose their jobs.  
Too bad. Brexit is not the end, it's the beginning. What do they offer to the British people in the new brave world?

Alan
Topic Author

October 9th, 2019, 4:54 pm

In a not unexpected plot twist, Trump and his administration will simply ignore the impeachment inquiry. Because it doesn’t make him look good...

My take:
Trump to House democrats: F**k you
House democrats: "Wait ... can they do that!?"

bearish

October 9th, 2019, 5:08 pm

It looks like a real legal document, with footnotes and everything.

Alan
Topic Author

October 9th, 2019, 5:37 pm

So, what will happen next?
retroactive House vote  -- or that ship has sailed?

I think I know how to settle this dispute:
 a battle of wits (you have to imagine Melania as the hostage  :D)

Alan
Topic Author

October 10th, 2019, 12:40 am

Here's a thought. 

The obvious best witness to testify before congress in this inquiry would be Ukraine Pres. Zelensky.
I suspect both sides would like to hear from him. 

I bet he would come. Probably he should be given some courtesy like not being sworn in or immunity or something similar.  

Would his testimony be foreign interference in an election?  oops! :D

bearish

October 10th, 2019, 1:12 am

So, Trump can celebrate the Turks eradicating our Kurdish allies (funny - the US does not have allies!) and a few mass shootings, but probably not that much more for a while. Maybe some California blackouts and/or wildfires. That'll make him drool with happiness!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On