SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

November 8th, 2019, 2:39 am

A Warning. Anonymous.

bearish

November 15th, 2019, 2:42 am

Can anybody name anything Trump ever did as president that was against the interest of Putin?

Alan
Topic Author

November 15th, 2019, 4:13 am

Can anybody name anything Trump ever did as president that was against the interest of Putin?

Well, with about 3 secs of thought:

1. U.S. State Department Approves Sale Of Second Batch Of Javelin Missiles To Ukraine

2. 2018 missile strikes against Syria

3.  U.S. Imposes New Sanctions on Russian Businessman Accused of Election Meddling

4. Treasury Designates Russian Oligarchs, Officials, and Entities in Response to Worldwide Malign Activity

From the last one:
“The Russian government operates for the disproportionate benefit of oligarchs and government elites,” said Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin.  “The Russian government engages in a range of malign activity around the globe, including continuing to occupy Crimea and instigate violence in eastern Ukraine, supplying the Assad regime with material and weaponry as they bomb their own civilians, attempting to subvert Western democracies, and malicious cyber activities.  Russian oligarchs and elites who profit from this corrupt system will no longer be insulated from the consequences of their government’s destabilizing activities.”

bearish

November 15th, 2019, 5:21 pm

Thank you! So nothing of great consequence, but a couple of symbolic acts.

A silver lining that is emerging this week is that Trump’s complete delusion that he cannot conceivably be found to do anything illegal because he is president, may actually make him do something so outrageous that it causes a couple of braindead Republicans to change their mind and agree that he must be removed. Unlikely, I know, but I’ll clutch at any straw that comes along.

ISayMoo

November 15th, 2019, 11:55 pm

What would be of great consequence? Nuking Moscow?

bearish

November 16th, 2019, 1:50 am

Something beyond gently tickling some friends of Putin in awkward spots. I assume you don't follow US politics (which would be a perfectly rational choice, given that you have the Boris & Nigel show to keep you entertained). Oh, and let's not forget Corbyn... 

Alan
Topic Author

November 16th, 2019, 4:03 am

I think bearish is on to something here. Certainly Trump was just gently tickling Zelensky over the Biden/Burisma investigations and Zelensky, being a comedian himself, got a good laugh from it. I'm glad we settled that.  

ISayMoo

November 16th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Something beyond gently tickling some friends of Putin in awkward spots. 
But what, exactly? Can you suggest something concrete?

bearish

November 16th, 2019, 3:57 pm

Fair question. Probably something along the lines of successfully ordering a hit on a scheduled witness. Not sure if that would be enough, though. 

ISayMoo

November 16th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Huh? How would that help Ukraine?

bearish

November 16th, 2019, 6:31 pm

OK - re-reading the sequence of posts, I thought I was answering the question of what specifically might Trump do to make a couple of Republicans turn against him. In retrospect, you wanted me to clarify what might be "of consequence" in the Putin context. Many things obviously have been, like letting Erdogan kill the Kurds and buy Russian military equipment. Actively undermining NATO and supporting Brexit would be a couple of others. Trump will undoubtedly find more ways to hurt Ukraine directly or, alternatively, just sit back as the Russians handle the matter. 

ISayMoo

November 16th, 2019, 8:20 pm

No, that's not what my question was about, either.

You wrote: "Can anybody name anything Trump ever did as president that was against the interest of Putin?"

Alan gave a few examples. You said that they were "nothing of great consequence, but a couple of symbolic acts".

So I asked what things of great consequence could Trump have done *against the interests of Putin*.

bearish

November 16th, 2019, 9:12 pm

That's such a preposterous hypothetical that you were probably right in your first try, i.e. nuke Moscow. Although it strikes me that Trump would probably be more likely to nuke Moscow, Idaho, than Moscow, Russia. It's a university town after all, and didn't vote for him.

bearish

November 18th, 2019, 1:44 am

The little point of sales (sorry, the other PoS) is on record claiming that the biggest stock market crash in history will be unleashed upon us if he is impeached. I say, bring it on! It would be wonderful. Of course, I'm a fixed income kind of guy... And, needless to say, I'd love to see him hung from the yardarm for his transgressions. 

Alan
Topic Author

November 18th, 2019, 6:15 pm

If you've been out of the stock market since, let's say, Trump was elected, I can see why you're so grumpy. 

I think the stock market would take a hit if Trump were removed from office. But what would really rattle it would be various Warren and/or Sanders tax proposals getting serious consideration: weath tax, financial transaction tax, increased corp taxes, etc., etc. Speaking of etc's, the 40% 'exit tax' is another amusing one.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On