Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

November 10th, 2020, 10:24 pm

Yes. And doesn't matter whether it's true or not, that was his reputation.

bearish

November 10th, 2020, 10:41 pm

I lived here at the time. He was a decently capable administrator (which was an improvement over Dinkins, but not at the level of Bloomberg), and he brought in a police chief who accelerated an already underway crime clean-up with a pretty heavy hand. He also benefited greatly from broader economic and demographic trends clearly beyond his control, but there is no question that NYC became massively more livable during his reign. None of this is of course of any relevance to the blathering idiot he has become.

Collector

November 11th, 2020, 12:04 am

how is senate going? one blue and one red from Georgia? then 51 red, and 49 blue ?

trackstar

November 11th, 2020, 12:14 am

how is senate going? one blue and one red from Georgia? then 51 red, and 49 blue ?
Watching the Senate, and the law suits, but even more so, The Pentagon.

This really is turning into a political thriller.

Overview: Trump loyalists elevated to powerful roles at the Pentagon after firing of Defense Secretary Esper - CNBC November 9

Turmoil at Pentagon as President Trump shakes up leadership team, 'something that should alarm all Americans' - USA Today November 9

If he decides to nuke Iran, it was nice knowing all of you. Good luck and thanks for all the fish (oil). : )
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

bearish

November 11th, 2020, 1:37 am

That should be “so long”! His primary enemies at this point are domestic, so the nukes may have a shorter distance to travel. Although, in the short run, black helicopters with hellfire missiles will go a long way against any “well armed militias” out there. This is nothing we haven’t predicted for years...

trackstar

November 11th, 2020, 2:12 am

That should be “so long”! His primary enemies at this point are domestic, so the nukes may have a shorter distance to travel. Although, in the short run, black helicopters with hellfire missiles will go a long way against any “well armed militias” out there. This is nothing we haven’t predicted for years...
yes, I was thinking of the book:

But I did change it on purpose. "So long" implies "Until we meet again."  In a US-initiated WWIII scenario, I would not expect that to be the case. I'm not worried yet, but a power grab at the Pentagon is not a good sign.

As far as the Senate run-offs go though - we will know in January. Balance of power in the Senate rests on election runoffs in Georgia - ABC News November 10

And keeping that democratic process in mind, I guess I will say "Hasta la vista, baby." : )
The spectacle is not a collection of images, but a social relation among people, mediated by images. - Guy Debord

bearish

November 11th, 2020, 2:27 am

Or, as in the Spanish dubbing “Sayonara, baby!” Which is somewhat less clear on what happens next.

trackstar

November 11th, 2020, 5:53 am

Haha - true.

And speaking of what happens next, here is a detailed article on the vote counts, the legal challenges, and the deadlines.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... utType=amp

“... unproven claims that fraud had tainted the election in Arizona, Georgia, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin. Vice President Pence gave a presentation to Republican senators on Capitol Hill about new litigation expected in Pennsylvania, Michigan and Georgia — imploring them to stick with the president, according to several Republicans in the room.“

“ Perhaps the greatest opportunity for Republicans to try to upend the vote certification process lies in Michigan, where a four-person state canvassing board made up of two Democrats and two Republicans is responsible for certifying the state results. If they deadlock, the decision could fall to the Republican-controlled state legislature. Of all six states in question, Michigan delivered Biden the largest margin of victory, nearly 150,000 votes, raising questions about what justification Republicans would offer to reverse the popular vote.”

Deadlines for county and state certification:

Arizona - Nov 30, can be extended a few days per state law
Georgia - Nov 13, Nov 20
Michigan - Nov 23
Nevada - Nov 24
Pennsylvania - Nov 23, but no statewide deadline
Wisconsin - Dec 1

As we have seen, there is considerable variation between states in election processes; that’s part of what makes the US work though - centralized decentralization you might say. Not efficient, but some kind of balance is struck, which the only other democratic experiment like this, the EU, has also grappled with and quasi-harmonization on many issues has been very difficult, as you know. We could look at the USSR too, but we’ll save that for another time. At least we have a good supply of cabbages and shoes of all sizes here.

Cuchulainn

November 11th, 2020, 9:41 am

Well, Tribal health and Tribal economies (mostly gaming) got major good news today. While they are traditionally Democratic, again one can speculate on how their vote percentages would have split in the Alternative History World of an earlier Pfizer announcement. I guess we'll have to leave that to the sci-fi writers. As I said before, my suspicion is that it wouldn't have changed the overall outcome for Trump.
Sorry, I take this with a shovel of salt.
https://www.voanews.com/usa/native-amer ... t-rushmore

Why would they vote for a racist?

In the old John Wayne movies we always heard "white man speak with forked tongue". Here's why

In 1868, the U.S. government signed a peace treaty with Dakota, Lakota and Arapaho leaders, designating as the “Great Sioux Nation” territory that stretched across parts of North Dakota, South Dakota and four other states and guaranteeing the tribes “absolute and undisturbed use and occupation.”

But that was before miners led by General George A. Custer found gold in the Black Hills, setting off a flood of prospectors who demanded protection by the government.
"Compatibility means deliberately repeating other people's mistakes."
David Wheeler

http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Collector

November 12th, 2020, 12:59 am

US virgin island no votes? (in exchange for only FED tax)

under florida?  

Denmark sold their Virgin island with the Virgin islanders to USA for $25 million at the onset of World War I. Explains why T asked Denmark if they also wanted to sell Greenland.

at least the Danish got real money back then and not fake money! $25 million in United States gold coin!

Collector

November 12th, 2020, 1:30 am

AZ gap narrowed from 0.5% to 0.3% on the last 1% they counted. 99% counted now my not so detailed scree says. Can it narrow to the 0.1% re-count limit on the last 1% point? When do they stop counting? before Christmas I hope!

STOP THE COUNT BEFORE CHRISTMAS!

trackstar

November 12th, 2020, 1:42 am

If you would like to wish for something, maybe a white christmas? 

They can keep counting, but I would like to go skiing!

However, speaking of wintery places, perhaps you saw that Alaska finished their count and Trump did win there - 3 electoral votes.

Also some more numbers in for the House and Senate:

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updat ... er-ap-call

House will be blue majority 218-202
Senate 46 blue, 2 independent, 50 red, and 2 TBD (Georgia) - we should know in January. 51 needed for majority, obviously.

and full electoral college currently showing 290 for Biden and 217 for Trump.

So, even one state flipping back, if it should come to that with any recounts, will not flip the whole thing over to T.

Still, more drama to come.  

And a nod to Alaska - my grandparents' favorite state and they visited most of them!

bearish

November 12th, 2020, 2:30 am

As Trump is trying to destroy the country in 73 days, we can only hope that a) he fails; and b) that the new government will try as hard as they can to hurt republicans as badly as they can in as many ways and as many places as they can. Sadly, that’s not in the nature of Biden. But maybe Kamala to the rescue? If he along with Pompeo, Barr and the other criminals succeed, we’ll have to count on, shall we say, informal measures.

And for Alan’s benefit, both CNN and MSNBC are featuring the record Covid disaster front and center, despite the election being behind us. Fox News? Well, it’s a hoax. Or Hoxha. They don’t spell that well.

Alan
Topic Author

November 12th, 2020, 3:34 am

trackstar

November 12th, 2020, 3:51 am

As Trump is trying to destroy the country in 73 days, we can only hope that a) he fails; and b) that the new government will try as hard as they can to hurt republicans as badly as they can in as many ways and as many places as they can. Sadly, that’s not in the nature of Biden. But maybe Kamala to the rescue? If he along with Pompeo, Barr and the other criminals succeed, we’ll have to count on, shall we say, informal measures.

And for Alan’s benefit, both CNN and MSNBC are featuring the record Covid disaster front and center, despite the election being behind us. Fox News? Well, it’s a hoax. Or Hoxha. They don’t spell that well.
I actually think the best way out will be some kind of face-saving strategy.

Someone please offer him a private equity/real estate fund to play with (Monopoly money, but he would not know that up front). Or a contract to develop golf courses in _____. Name your favorite god-forsaken region.

He might leave quasi gracefully if it will look like he is really Winning at something else.