bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

February 7th, 2019, 4:05 am

Dan Brown, anybody?

Cuchulainn

February 7th, 2019, 9:13 am

not sure what your point is.

It only registered yesterday, I didn't know you had fascist symbols. Would Howard Roark have approved?

ppauper

February 7th, 2019, 10:40 am

the dimes (1916) predate Mussolini's reign.
The fasces in the House Chamber date from the 1950 renovation, but replaced earlier fasces.
The Founding Fathers consciously cultivated an association with Republican Rome during the early years of the United States. Washington was often likened to Cincinnatus, the Roman general who went back to his farm rather than become a dictator

Cuchulainn

February 7th, 2019, 11:06 am

Don't you love fairy tales..

rmax

February 7th, 2019, 12:37 pm

not sure what your point is. They were there when Obama and Clinton gave SOTU addresses
Not everything that people say/write have to be seen through a prism of supporting one side versus the other. 

Alan
Topic Author

February 7th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Good coin puzzle. Find the earliest U.S. coin with the fasces.

update. To answer my own question: looks like this Liberty dime is it, so the earliest would be 1916, the year it was introduced:

I collected coins, but very little paper currency. Maybe somebody can find an earlier fasces on a US banknote, perhaps from a private US bank. There's some beautiful large images at wiki but haven't really looked through them.

This is fun -- have now pushed the first "US currency with fasces" date back to no later than 1882: look carefully at what the eagle on the reverse is standing upon:

Here's another banknote with an 1882 design with fasces on the front right:

From the source:
Very Choice Sioux City $100 Date Back
Sioux City, Iowa. $100 1882 Date Back. Fr. 566 (W-3560). The First NB. Charter #1757. PCGS Currency Very Choice New 64. This is a difficult $100 National Bank note type to acquire. Not only is it tough as a type note, the condition offered here makes it another “trophy note,” particularly for the collector of Iowa National Bank notes.

These notes were beautifully designed with the vignette at left depicting Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry leaving his flagship, the Lawrence, during the Battle of Lake Erie in 1813. At right is a depiction of Liberty, seated by a fasces representing the Union, along with the message “Maintain It!” The largely open back design features the 1882-1908 date range which gives these notes their “Date Back” name. This boldly printed and crisp note displays deep blue overprints and neatly penned bank officers’ signatures. The paper is well margined with deep embossing evident from the back of the note.

I got interested in discovering more about this famous collector "Joel R. Anderson". First, I learned that his company, Anderson Publishing, is the current owner (among many past owners) of Whitman publishing, a well-known name to anybody who has ever collected US coins. Second, an amusing link with Trump turned up, which just goes to illustrate the theory of Six Degrees of Separation.  So, my little diversion is not even threadwise off-topic -- well, maybe a little.  :D

bearish

February 7th, 2019, 11:05 pm

Trump in a furious tweet today: “...The Republicans never did this to President Obama...”

No shit, Sherlock! Trump is a treasonous criminal and Obama is not. Just a tiny little false equivalence attempted.

Alan
Topic Author

February 8th, 2019, 1:05 am

Welcome to the dark side.
Thanks -- I hear the dark side is significantly happier, so the light side is actually darker! 

bearish

February 8th, 2019, 1:58 am

And there are always the cookies.

ppauper

February 8th, 2019, 7:33 am

Trump in a furious tweet today: “...The Republicans never did this to President Obama...”

No shit, Sherlock! Trump is a treasonous criminal and Obama is not. Just a tiny little false equivalence attempted.
The president has a valid point. Now that both House and Senate Intel committees have concluded that there was no "Russian collusion" ( Senate Intel Chairman Richard Burr (R-NC) on CBS on Thursday ), the Dems are looking elsewhere to try and find a crime.  House Intel Chairman Adam Schiff has launched a massive investigation into President Trump’s finances and personal life.
As Professor Dershowitz has said in the past, this is reminiscent of the old Soviet Union, when the head of the secret police used to say, "Show me the man and I'll find you the crime" (Lavrentiy Beria)

Schiff’s committee hired former NSC staffer Abigail Grace, who was a career official in her term at the White House.

bearish

February 8th, 2019, 11:39 am

Compared to the Benghazi nonsense, the Democrats have only gotten started

ppauper

February 8th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Nice attempt to change the subject.

bearish

February 8th, 2019, 1:17 pm

Sorry, I thought the present subject was congressional hearings about alleged misdeeds. Although I will admit that there is a meaningful distinction: one set of hearings was a multi-year smear campaign for the sole purpose of destroying the political career of a future candidate for president, whereas the other is a step in the investigation of impeachable offenses and treasonous crimes committed by a current president and his aids and abettors.

ppauper

February 8th, 2019, 2:44 pm

Sorry, I thought the present subject was congressional hearings about alleged misdeeds.
What "alleged misdeeds?"
Schiff is holding hearings not to investigate misdeeds but to comb through the president's entire life in search of misdeeds.

With Benghazi, 4 Americans, including the Ambassador, were killed during a pre-planned militant attack on a US Embassy in a war-zone on the anniversary of 9/11. According to some accounts, the Ambassador, who was gay, was raped and sodomized before being killed. Obama and Clinton initially blamed the attack on a spontaneous protest against a youtube clip, although the evidence suggests they knew that was untrue at the time they said it, rather than a pre-planned militant attack. The Ambassador and his staff had requested additional security for the Embassy literally hundreds of times before the attack, yet no additional security was provided, and in fact the State Department withdrew over 60 security staff from Libya in the 6 months leading up to the attack. In hindsight, the failure to provide adequate security was a mistake. Once the attack was underway, the Administration failed to send help to the Embassy, although the Naval Air Station at Sicily was within range and could have sent support.

bearish

February 9th, 2019, 2:10 am

Yep, that it the story the republicans made up and told for years. It never got anywhere whatsoever on its own merits, but it did help kill Hillary's candidacy and enabled Trump. So, we know what they are responsible for. The rules of the game are such that they will not be punished along with him, but they sure should be...
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On