SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

January 11th, 2020, 11:29 pm

Having lied through his teeth (whether real or not) on his motivation for the assassination of Soleimani, Trump gets a massive political gift from the utterly incompetent Iranians who when allegedly trying to retaliate give out enough warnings to make the attack completely ineffective and then proceed to down a civilian airliner and protest having done so for several days. If you made a movie on this premise, people would laugh at you for the stupidity of your plot line and characters. I'm thinking we haven't quite seen the end of this story yet.

ISayMoo

January 12th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Trump gets a massive political gift from the utterly incompetent Iranians who when allegedly trying to retaliate give out enough warnings to make the attack completely ineffective
I understand, but not share, your disappointment that no US personnel has been killed by Iranian missiles. How many dead US soldiers would satisfy the US "Resistance"?

Paul

January 12th, 2020, 6:52 pm

I think wishing ill on people/country ("cutting off one's nose to spite one's face") is one of the nastiest symptoms of both TDS and BDS. I see a lot of glee/gloating from remoaners in anticipation of a disastrous Brexit. I'm not saying that bearish has this particular symptom (although he has plenty of others!), but anyone who does really ought to acknowledge it and work on it.

Cuchulainn

January 12th, 2020, 9:39 pm

Maybe ISayMoo and bearish (and maybe those ramoners) could remove the negative waves by drummimg. Long live social resilience. 

EFFECTS OF GROUP DRUMMING INTERVENTIONS ON ANXIETY, DEPRESSION, SOCIAL RESILIENCE AND INFLAMMATORY IMMUNE RESPONSE

https://remo.com/experience/post/effect ... n-anxiety/
Last edited by Cuchulainn on January 12th, 2020, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

bearish

January 12th, 2020, 9:43 pm

I guess I'll leave my current Brexit views for another occasion, although I am eagerly following the fate of the chlorinated chickens. With Trump it gets complicated. I honestly do not believe that US democracy will survive a second Trump term. In fact, it may not survive his actions should he fail to successfully rig this year's election, but that's neither here nor there in the current context. It is obviously a good thing that American (and Iraqi) soldiers weren't killed by some Iranian missiles and a bad thing that a plane load of civilians were killed by others. It is sad that the course of events played out to make Trump look good, after having ordered an illegal political assassination. So, to adjust the aphorism slightly, let us assume that your nose has grown a malignant tumor. It may now be time to cut off your nose to save your face, as well as the rest of you.

bearish

January 14th, 2020, 12:52 am

It is truly astonishing how deeply anybody associated with Trump will embarrass themselves to suck up to him (or survive, as it may be). The latest tonight is that of course we were lying when we said that it was an imminent threat, and when we said that attacks on US embassies were planned (never mind not telling the embassy security people, because why would we?). The current lie is that the assassination of Soleimani was part of a "larger deterrent strategy". As if!

ISayMoo

January 14th, 2020, 12:36 pm

That's seriously dumb of them. The only way you can justify legally this attack is by an imminent threat. You don't get to blow foreign government officials into smithereens as "deterrent strategy", unless you're a terrorist state.

bearish

January 14th, 2020, 2:23 pm

That's seriously dumb of them. The only way you can justify legally this attack is by an imminent threat. You don't get to blow foreign government officials into smithereens as "deterrent strategy", unless you're a terrorist state.
Says who? Some dumb rule? Trump doesn’t care in the slightest for the rule of law, and even less so if it is laid down by some international body. But, yes, we are moving in the direction of becoming an actual terrorist state.

Cuchulainn

January 14th, 2020, 3:11 pm

Alan
Topic Author

January 14th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Wait, you forgot the $37B donated to his ex -- just kidding, MacKenzie!  :D

More seriously, I am glad each of these folks gets to make their own decisions here -- rather than Elizabeth W. or Bernie S. The Gates' make smart decisions and give their money to Malaria No More, as one example. In contrast, Warren will give it, by executive action, to indebted college graduates, many at expensive schools, many with wealthy parents.  Reminds of a line from I, Robot:

Dear Elizabeth,
You're the dumbest smart person I've ever met.

bearish

January 15th, 2020, 2:54 am

On Monday, the President retweeted a blatantly doctored, fake image of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer in Middle Eastern garb together in front of an Iranian flag. In the image, Pelosi is wearing a hijab and Schumer has a turban on his head with "Democrats 2020" written on the bottom of the image. The tweet accompanying the photo reads "the corrupted Dems trying their best to come to the Ayatollah's rescue."

But of course, addressing the crushing student loans of a generation is a problem, too...

ISayMoo

January 15th, 2020, 9:15 am

More seriously, I am glad each of these folks gets to make their own decisions here -- rather than Elizabeth W. or Bernie S. The Gates' make smart decisions and give their money to Malaria No More, as one example. In contrast, Warren will give it, by executive action, to indebted college graduates, many at expensive schools, many with wealthy parents.  Reminds of a line from I, Robot:
Yes, God forbid we would actually have some democratic control over the future of our civilisation. We should leave it to the ruling classes to decide for us.
We've gone back to feudalism, only it's about shares now, not land.

ISayMoo

January 15th, 2020, 9:16 am

On Monday, the President retweeted a blatantly doctored, fake image of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Sen. Chuck Schumer in Middle Eastern garb together in front of an Iranian flag. In the image, Pelosi is wearing a hijab and Schumer has a turban on his head with "Democrats 2020" written on the bottom of the image. The tweet accompanying the photo reads "the corrupted Dems trying their best to come to the Ayatollah's rescue."

But of course, addressing the crushing student loans of a generation is a problem, too...
The UK has a good system. You basically pay an extra income tax after you graduate. If you don't earn enough, you don't pay. It all gets cancelled when you reach 55.

But kids complain about that, too. Everyone likes free stuff!

Cuchulainn

January 15th, 2020, 1:40 pm

The UK has a good system. You basically pay an extra income tax after you graduate. If you don't earn enough, you don't pay. It all gets cancelled when you reach 55.

But kids complain about that, too. Everyone likes free stuff!
Some are spoiled brats to boot,

The all want a Distinction and they say that up-front. And when they don't get it they throw a tantrum.

Eight out of 10 students got a first or a 2:1 at almost 50 UK universities last year, according to the latest figures on degree classifications.
At 10 institutions more than 90 per cent of students managed to attain the two highest degree classes, while at almost a quarter of the country’s universities at least 30 per cent of those graduating got a first.

Education is Politics.

Alan
Topic Author

January 15th, 2020, 3:48 pm

Yes, God forbid we would actually have some democratic control over the future of our civilisation. We should leave it to the ruling classes to decide for us.
We've gone back to feudalism, only it's about shares now, not land.
Yes, next time you want to make a charitable donation, I suggest you stop and first put it to a vote of your neighbors.  Better yet, just give them all your money. Maybe they can make all your decisions for you. That's democracy, right?
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On