SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Collector

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

February 23rd, 2020, 5:43 pm

with the Democrat party polarized between Mike and Bernie they have little chance to get the president. If Bernie is going to represent the Democrats (as he possibly will do) then many conservative Democrats will likely vote Trump. If Mike wins then many democrats will sit home on election day. Mike is unlikely to win as he has lack "charisma", he is too little of "show" man, but never say never. One must take into account that American Politics is also show business. 

high probability Trump wins, but do not underestimate other countries influence on the election: Norway is likely working to get Bernie Sanders elected, but Norway has not that big resources (small country after all), even if we have exported a few sleeper-agents with voting power to the USA (sleeping bears), (PS Norway government also gave hundreds of millions to clinton foundation, Norway is one of the three countries in the world that gives the most money to the Clinton Foundation. , but with little effect, except robbing their own tax payers).

Also with most president candidates (that are likely to be elected) close to 80 we cannot be sure they last 4 to 8 years. In Norway one basically are forced to retire in government positions at 70. That America still respect the old and wise(?) is in general good! 

Bernie Sanders interviewed on Norwegian television in 1987  "My experience working with the democrats is useless....people controlling the republican party is not that different from people in the democratic party" Bernie in Norway 1987

Cuchulainn

February 23rd, 2020, 7:51 pm

The NYC accent is non-rhotic. FDR and Bernie have it.

bearish

February 23rd, 2020, 8:11 pm

The NYC accent is non-rhotic. FDR and Bernie have it.
Bernie’s accent is pretty much classic Brooklyn Jewish, laced with an extra shot of anger.

Collector

February 23rd, 2020, 11:34 pm

"laced with an extra shot of anger."

fueled by high blood pressure? 

trackstar

February 23rd, 2020, 11:44 pm

What makes the primaries even more exciting:

Party raiding - Wikipedia

"Party raiding describes a tactic in American politics where members of one party vote in another party's primary election in an effort to either nominate a weaker candidate or prolong divided support between two or more contenders for that party's nomination (especially for president)."

Please note - P-A-R-T-Y raiding.  OK?

Where you gentlemen take it from here is not my problem. : )

I do think that may be happening, and will try to obtain some data to support or refute that claim as time permits this week.

(e.g. access to Crossover voting and voter registration information.)

"Iprimary elections in the United Statescrossover voting refers to a behavior in which voters cast ballots for a party with which they are not traditionally affiliated. 

Even in the instance of closed primary elections, in which voters are required to receive a ballot matching their own political party, crossover voting may still take place, but requires the additional step of voters to change their political affiliation ahead of the primary election."

If you check out the current news on this topic, you will find pending (and urgent) legislative actions in California and Wyoming regarding how crossover voting is handled, and in Michigan on the gamesmanship aspect of it, among other discussions.

katastrofa

February 24th, 2020, 2:20 am

"PS Norway government also gave hundreds of millions to clinton foundation, Norway is one of the three countries in the world that gives the most money to the Clinton Foundation. , but with little effect, except robbing their own tax payers"

With the effect of your politicians gaining cushy jobs in the West and businessmen winning big contracts, I believe (without checking, I'm sure your arm sales to Middle East have significantly increased). Good old story.

trackstar

February 24th, 2020, 2:38 am

Fact checker - useful to do this for Trump, Democrats, FSUs, the OT, IYIs, BDSM enthusiasts, cranks of all kinds, etc. ; )

5 charts that reveal the state of the global arms trade - World Economic Forum - March 14, 2019

Those interested can also check the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute's Arms and Military Expenditures - SIPRI web page and three open access data bases.

"SIPRI’s research on arms and military spending has been the core of the institute's work since its foundation in the 1960s. This work is largely based around three comprehensive and open-access databases: the Arms transfers database, the Arms industry database and the Military expenditure database. These exemplify SIPRI's core values of transparency by using only open sources that can be independently checked, and universality by including data on nearly every country in the world. SIPRI also provides documents on all arms embargoes since the 1950s and national reports on arms export controls."

Collector

February 24th, 2020, 10:13 am

weapon export per capita would be a very different chart, especially when in addition taking into account middle men countries.

Despite the small size of the country, Norway keeps its place among the world’s 20 largest gun exporters. (and what per capita?). Handle out weapons and then give the peace prize is our job!

Sweden also doing good per capita "Ranked the third largest arms exporter per capita", we can call it the Nordic model, somehow one need to fund it all.

Interestingly:
"Swedish contributions to the Clinton Foundation have also been called into question. According to reports from last summer, the bulk of the money deposited in a Swedish arm of the Clinton family's global foundation was transferred while Hillary Clinton was US Secretary of State, and was liaising with Sweden over its controversial business links with Iran."

tell me one nation (= bureaucrats and politicians) not using their tax payers money to influence other nations (= bureaucrats and politicians) in their own "personal" interest? 

trackstar

February 24th, 2020, 11:51 am

long history, going back even before these were published:
the prince.jpg
adam smith.jpg
Good luck with arms spending data/gdp/percapita - some other sources and repositories besides SIPRI also available.

UNODA - United Nations Office for Disarmament Affairs

Military Spending - Statista.com

But for today - I need to buy an ice axe and sturdy boots.  

More fun than the US primaries! Enjoy your days, folks.

katastrofa

February 25th, 2020, 10:51 pm

@ trackstar: "Fact checker - useful to do this for Trump, Democrats, FSUs, the OT, IYIs, BDSM enthusiasts, cranks of all kinds, etc. ; )"

Again jumping to conclusions, like with Mr Sabisky's casual visits to the eugenics conference! Just because I mention BDSM a lot doesn't mean I'd ever do this (well, certainly not on the first date).
Thanks for the research, though. I wasn't being lazy - just a bit busy with my new lovers. More CMYK than BDSM ;-)
https://curiosity.com/topics/oval-squid ... curiosity/

This is exactly what I had in mind:
"From 2014 to 2015, Norway doubled exports of defense materials to these three countries. In 2015, Norway sold military equipment for $ 139 million to Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Kuwait, Dagbladet writes."
https://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/5498 ... orter-list
&
"Norwegian contributions to the Clinton Foundation have amounted to $89.6 million (747 million kroner) between 2007 and 2015, [and a different interesting story] while the Clinton Foundation’s website lists the support as between $10 and $25 million."
https://www.thelocal.no/20160704/norway ... r-scrutiny

Additionally, while I might be a bit schizophrenic on this one: Seven Stolenberg and Mari Skåre got top brass positions in NATO in that period. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
Last edited by katastrofa on February 25th, 2020, 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trackstar

February 25th, 2020, 10:56 pm

@ trackstar: "Fact checker - useful to do this for Trump, Democrats, FSUs, the OT, IYIs, BDSM enthusiasts, cranks of all kinds, etc. ; )"

Again jumping to conclusions, like with Mr Sabisky's casual visits to the eugenics conference! Just because I mention BDSM a lot doesn't mean I'd ever do this (well, certainly not on the first date).
Thanks for the research, though. I wasn't being lazy - just a bit busy with my new lovers. More CMYK than BDSM ;-)
https://curiosity.com/topics/oval-squid ... curiosity/

Hehe - no, not jumping to conclusions. Just being inclusive!  Each of those categories on that short list has some level of representation here on the forum, in spirit, if not actual practice. : D

Be careful if still in the Canaries - Tenerife has one case of COVID-19 as you may have heard. An Italian doctor - and now the entire hotel he was staying in is on lockdown. I hope the food and wines are good for those travelers and tourists.

Nice creatures though and hopefully the diving is excellent and far from the virus action.

katastrofa

February 25th, 2020, 11:08 pm

The situation doesn't look too well indeed. We clearly have pandemics whether the countries' services admit it or not.
I was on the smallest of the main islands. It's wouldn't be that bad to get stuck there, if I didn't miss my cat :-)

trackstar

February 25th, 2020, 11:12 pm

Here: "Hundreds of guests at the H10 Costa Adeje Palace Hotel were told to stay in their rooms as medical tests were carried out.

The doctor is reportedly from the virus-hit Lombardy region. His wife has also now tested positive, sources say." Coronavirus Tenerife - BBC Feb 25

We hear now maybe a vaccine in 18 months, but I'm more interested in designs for a pandemic suit. 

Lightweight, easy for travel. and very safe. Like a space suit.

I have never gotten a flu shot and I don't plan to start doing so now. We have simply pushed highly adaptable organisms to mutate aggressively.

Many interesting papers on this, including this one - not so new, but good examples:

Virus Adaptation by Manipulation of Host's Gene Expression - NCBI PLoS One. 2008; 3(6): e2397.
Abstract:
"Viruses adapt to their hosts by evading defense mechanisms and taking over cellular metabolism for their own benefit. Alterations in cell metabolism as well as side-effects of antiviral responses contribute to symptoms development and virulence. Sometimes, a virus may spill over from its usual host species into a novel one, where usually will fail to successfully infect and further transmit to new host. However, in some cases, the virus transmits and persists after fixing beneficial mutations that allow for a better exploitation of the new host. This situation would represent a case for a new emerging virus. Here we report results from an evolution experiment in which a plant virus was allowed to infect and evolve on a naïve host...." 

we'll get back to Trump eventually - speaking of adaptive species...

bearish

February 27th, 2020, 12:30 am

I think we are converging. The idea that anybody in the US (or, for that matter, the rest of the world) should believe a single word coming out of his mouth relating to the virus is just preposterous. Which could be awkward, should some kind of actual leadership be needed. Because we ain't got that around here.

bearish

February 28th, 2020, 2:51 am

So the idiot is now on record touting his "incredible job of handling the virus" and stating that "it’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear". And he put Pence in charge of suppressing what little professional and scientific leadership there is left in the country to fight the virus. We're all going to die!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On