SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

August 5th, 2020, 1:58 am

Oh well, the virus still has some work to do. Meanwhile, the utter corruption in charge of the country is having a field day. Their latest trick is to deliberately undercount non-Republicans in the census and close it out prematurely to make sure that it doesn’t, like, get done right.

bearish

August 5th, 2020, 1:30 pm

The kung flu fighter in chief displayed his grasp of the world on Fox News this morning (as quoted by other sources - I obviously didn’t watch it). About the virus: “This thing’s going away. It will go away like things go away.”

bearish

August 6th, 2020, 1:21 am

The Trump posse has been working overtime trying desperately to get Kanye West onto as many ballots as possible. While it would seem obvious that only idiots would vote for him, and thus undermine Trump, they must have noticed that he is black. And thus assume that all black people will vote for him, since they don’t know any better.

bearish

August 7th, 2020, 1:38 am

Wouldn’t it be cool if we could eliminate the massively corrupt and totally toxic NRA? Daydreaming again, of course...

bearish

August 8th, 2020, 9:19 pm

To quote a friend of mine (i.e. no claim to originality on my part): I’m looking forward to offering my thoughts and prayers to the NRA.

Alan
Topic Author

August 9th, 2020, 2:22 pm

I applaud Trump's executive orders on the 2nd round of coronavirus relief. Some of them might be illegal, but who's going to sue on the $300/wk (+$100 requested from the states) supplemental jobless benefit? If it goes to the Supremes, they could just defer a potential 'illegal' ruling (on that part) until the money is already paid out. It's not like a hedge fund -- I can't see the Feds trying to claw back the payments, once they are made. 

Thus, also good gamesmanship. Congress should just enact the jobless benefit piece of the order into law tomorrow and then go back to arguing about … whatever. It's only $44 billion -- small potatoes at the federal budget level. Of course, Congress does need to restore that transfer from the FEMA balance, ideally before the next disaster.

bearish

August 9th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Yeah - applauding illegal executive orders is kind of par for the course on the republican side of the chasm. I’m hardly an expert, but there seems to be genuine uncertainty whether any moneys will actually get disbursed under these orders. It will certainly create total chaos. Which, more than anything, is probably the goal.

Alan
Topic Author

August 9th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Pelosi to Court: "Sure, your honor, we'd like to see the unemployed get an extra $400/wk, but not if it creates CHAOS. Let them eat cake while Congress proceeds in its usual deliberative manner".

To be fair, Pelosi hasn't said that she will sue. Maybe nobody will, as I said -- at least on the unemployment part. And Congress could cure the putative chaos tomorrow morning on that issue.

bearish

August 9th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Yes, Mitch McConnell has a lot to answer for.

bearish

August 9th, 2020, 8:19 pm

And it would be lunacy for companies to stop withholding social security taxes from employee paychecks now, only to have to resume withholding at a double rate in a few months.

bearish

August 11th, 2020, 12:54 am

OK - so the seemingly brain dead shenanigans about the payroll taxes may simply be Stephen Moore’s plan to abolish social security. One might think that a president being entirely dependent on the votes from uneducated white old men would shy away from such policies, but it would fit into the increasingly dominant narrative where he no longer cares about votes at all. Because he will remain in charge whatever the outcome may be of a November election (if one is held).

trackstar

August 11th, 2020, 1:02 am

OK - so the seemingly brain dead shenanigans about the payroll taxes may simply be Stephen Moore’s plan to abolish social security. One might think that a president being entirely dependent on the votes from uneducated white old men would shy away from such policies, but it would fit into the increasingly dominant narrative where he no longer cares about votes at all. Because he will remain in charge whatever the outcome may be of a November election (if one is held).
I follow your commentary here, just as I follow trade discussions in The Economist and monetary policy in the FT (yes, I am trying to needle Paul a little, hehe!).

And being a gambler at heart, I'll make you an offer.

If Biden wins in November and Trump departs, however ungracefully, but on schedule,* I will invite you and your family to a dinner in the city at a fine restaurant of your choice. Of course, we have to see about Covid precautions, restaurant policies, and such interstate travel at that point, but we can figure something out.

It would be delightful (not a losing bet - a  winning one!) and now one more thing to look forward to as the People go to the Polls in a few months. : )

no need to answer right away - it can just be a standing bet (in place of Saratoga, which is where I would normally be right now, except for the virus and some problems with racing these days).  

*The US Congress is scheduled to certify the electoral result on January 5, 2021, and the new or incumbent president and vice president will be inaugurated on January 20, 2021.

bearish

August 11th, 2020, 1:49 am

That sounds like half of a perfectly good bet (and a festive occasion!), but what is my obligation if something goes pear shaped along the way?

trackstar

August 11th, 2020, 1:54 am

That sounds like half of a perfectly good bet (and a festive occasion!), but what is my obligation if something goes pear shaped along the way?
I guess we would stock up on the Cristal and make some high end Molotov Cocktails then. : D

Won't Get Fooled Again - The Who

Cuchulainn

August 11th, 2020, 11:18 am

very exciting race, yawn.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgBzy9MoL0Q
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On