SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

bearish

Re: Trump -- the last 100 days

September 30th, 2020, 2:49 am

Small forecast: this was the last Trump/Biden “debate”. My guess is that the Pence/Harris thing will happen next week, but I see no reason to give the raving lunatic another chance at undermining the process.

trackstar

September 30th, 2020, 2:52 am

Actually I pulled up a second screen on my laptop - this was useful (and silent!)

Bloomberg Live Blog - Presidential Debate

I'll have a nice glass of Merlot now and then a deep sleep. : )

Have a good night, Ursa Major, and everyone else too!

Paul

September 30th, 2020, 3:37 am

Biden was good at speaking to the camera. Anyone remember when Ed Miliband tried that? Eugh.

Energetic bully vs nice grandpa.

Cuchulainn

September 30th, 2020, 9:22 am

Looks like I didn't miss much. 

Energetic bully 

More precisely, a white supremacist bully. 
Or a 'scrubber'.
Step over the gap, not into it. Watch the space between platform and train.
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

bearish

September 30th, 2020, 10:54 pm

In the unlikely event that there will be a repeat performance, the only hope of something resembling a debate would involve Trump in a sound proofed bodyrubs (why does my phone suggest bodyrubs?) booth, with his microphone only turned on when it is his time to speak. Maybe augmented with a real time blogger or two who specialize in interpreting orangutan facial expressions.

trackstar

September 30th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Maybe you have seen the announcement from The Commission on Presidential Debates today:

"The Commission on Presidential Debates sponsors televised debates for the benefit of the American electorate. Last night’s debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues.  The CPD will be carefully considering the changes that it will adopt and will announce those measures shortly.  The Commission is grateful to Chris Wallace for the professionalism and skill he brought to last night’s debate and intends to ensure that additional tools to maintain order are in place for the remaining debates."

CPD Statement September 30 2020

Most likely the moderator will have control of the microphones, but it will be interesting to see what else they think is needed.

You might say a taser for the moderator to wield. That would keep it lively!

Cuchulainn

October 1st, 2020, 11:12 am

Lock him up!

bearish

October 1st, 2020, 10:32 pm

Maybe you have seen the announcement from The Commission on Presidential Debates today:

"The Commission on Presidential Debates sponsors televised debates for the benefit of the American electorate. Last night’s debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues.  The CPD will be carefully considering the changes that it will adopt and will announce those measures shortly.  The Commission is grateful to Chris Wallace for the professionalism and skill he brought to last night’s debate and intends to ensure that additional tools to maintain order are in place for the remaining debates."

CPD Statement September 30 2020

Most likely the moderator will have control of the microphones, but it will be interesting to see what else they think is needed.

You might say a taser for the moderator to wield. That would keep it lively!
Predictably, the Trump campaign has declared that they won the first debate (every Proud Boy they asked said so!) and will not accept any changes to the rules, since they are obviously designed to hurt him. Which, in all fairness, they are. And that’s a good thing.

BobUlly

October 2nd, 2020, 6:07 pm

There should be some sort of fact sheet.  I didn't watch the whole thing, but I saw both were trying to say their economy was better, than the other guy's.  They both can't be right. 

bearish

October 2nd, 2020, 7:33 pm

I’m reminded of a line from the Dire Straits song Industrial Disease:

“Two men say they’re Jesus, one of them must be wrong”

You get three economist in a room and you would expect around five different opinions on a question like yours... I’ll give you one version.

The Obama/Biden government oversaw the longest peace time economic expansion in US history. This continued under Trump, although goosed by a massive fiscal deficit (the traditional Republican approach), largely in the form of tax cuts to corporations and high income individuals residing in red states. And then Covid came and messed it all up, aided and abetted by irresponsible and inept handling by the president.

bearish

October 3rd, 2020, 2:35 am

I hope there is a hole at Walter Reed.

On a separate note, two GOP senators, the head of the RNC, and Kellyanne Conway have all tested positive today. Hopefully, her husband is doing OK.

ISayMoo

October 3rd, 2020, 7:21 am

Things look serious:

Regeneron Confirms that REGN-COV2 Antibody Cocktail Provided to President Trump Under Compassionate Use Request

What is Compassionate Use Request

"In the USA, this type of compassionate use program is also known as an Expanded Access Program (EAP) and is intended for patients with serious or life-threatening conditions who do not have any viable or available treatment options"

Might explain why Biden pulled those negative ads.

Cuchulainn

October 3rd, 2020, 11:26 am

katastrofa

October 3rd, 2020, 11:30 am

There should be some sort of fact sheet.  I didn't watch the whole thing, but I saw both were trying to say their economy was better, than the other guy's.  They both can't be right. 
You never know with those complex systems.

trackstar

October 3rd, 2020, 11:41 am

Some systems can be paused or even turned off though.

UK bookmakers stop taking bets on US election after Trump gets Covid-19 - CNN October 2

"All bets are off after President Donald Trump contracted Covid-19 — at least according to UK bookmakers.

Ladbrokes and William Hill (WIMHY) said Friday that they would pause all wagers on the outcome of the US election in November until more information becomes available about the president's condition.

"This is standard procedure and we wish Donald and Melania Trump well," a spokesperson for Ladbrokes said in a statement."

The (figurative) bets may be off on the Supreme Court confirmation process as well.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On