SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ISayMoo

Re: Time for BREXIT FAQ

September 9th, 2019, 8:22 pm

I thought it odd that the Brexit Party has been abbreviated to BXP. A bit too close for comfort.

Having attended events with Cons, Libs, Lab, Ukip and BXP I can say that BXP is easily the most diverse. In terms of racial background, jobs, sexuality. Ukip was pretty close, especially diverse sexuality. Libs the least diverse.
That's very possible. My problem with the Brexit Party is that every one of their candidates in the EP elections that I considered voting for was a loon on some issue, be it vaccinations or climate change. Not comforting.

ISayMoo

September 9th, 2019, 8:23 pm

Well, I say “my parents”...
We say "my guardians" now. Hooray for the political correctness!

ISayMoo

September 9th, 2019, 8:30 pm

Payout coming towards JB

Poland also went through a rough patch at the end of the XVIIIth century, when foreign agents bribed Polish nobles to disrupt the government. It didn't end well (partitions).
Are you talking about Ukrainian magnates' revolt against the Polish occupation government, which resulted in breaking off the former Kievan Rus territory?
The leader of Targowica was Stanisław Szczęsny Potocki. The Potocki family came originally from Potok in Świętokrzyskie (south-central Poland). Many others were also Polish nobles (e.g. Józef Ankwicz or Franciszek Ksawery Branicki). They were bribed by the Russians. Kosciuszko hanged many of them, but not all, unfortunately.

katastrofa

September 9th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Potoccy are from Galicia (Sandomierz), former Galician-Volynian Rus - what was considered the remnant of Kievan Rus after Golden Horde. They aren't even half-Medieval.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 10th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I thought it odd that the Brexit Party has been abbreviated to BXP. A bit too close for comfort.

Having attended events with Cons, Libs, Lab, Ukip and BXP I can say that BXP is easily the most diverse. In terms of racial background, jobs, sexuality. Ukip was pretty close, especially diverse sexuality. Libs the least diverse.
Any big drinkers, on a par with that of, let's say Anthony Eden?

tw

September 10th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Payout coming towards JB

Poland also went through a rough patch at the end of the XVIIIth century, when foreign agents bribed Polish nobles to disrupt the government. It didn't end well (partitions).
Are you talking about Ukrainian magnates' revolt against the Polish occupation government, which resulted in breaking off the former Kievan Rus territory?
The leader of Targowica was Stanisław Szczęsny Potocki. The Potocki family came originally from Potok in Świętokrzyskie (south-central Poland). Many others were also Polish nobles (e.g. Józef Ankwicz or Franciszek Ksawery Branicki). They were bribed by the Russians. Kosciuszko hanged many of them, but not all, unfortunately.
I am glad Jan Potocki didn't get hanged. Saragossa Manuscript would have been a loss to literature.

ISayMoo

September 10th, 2019, 9:04 pm

Jan Potocki was not a traitor. He was a cool dude. He became convinced that he's a werewolf, so he shot himself with a silver bullet blessed by the village priest.

katastrofa

September 10th, 2019, 10:50 pm

Any more doubts that he was Ukrainian?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 21st, 2019, 2:49 pm

Is BREXIT a religion? 

Richard Dawkins: ‘Brexit is now a religion. They don’t mind if they destroy the country’

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/richard-dawkins-brexit-is-now-a-religion-they-don-t-mind-if-they-destroy-the-country-1.4010159

I made inquiries to see whether I could become an Irish citizen. I gather I can’t because I can’t produce an Irish grandparent, much to my regret. I would love to become an Irish citizen

Strange:90% of people in UK have an Irish grandmother!

Paul

September 21st, 2019, 4:04 pm

The Dawk’s lack of self awareness and naïveté has been apparent for a long time now.

The EU, its leaders and disciples, are trying to stop us escaping. We have to hand over large donations to them. They’ve forbidden us to contact our families, in the Commonwealth. They make up rules behind closed doors. The Dawk can’t see the obvious. He has been brainwashed.

I am curious to know at which level of the EU cult do we get the free love. Is it only for the Dutch?

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

September 21st, 2019, 6:24 pm

Nothing is free in the Netherlands.

ISayMoo

September 21st, 2019, 7:16 pm

Is BREXIT a religion? 

Richard Dawkins: ‘Brexit is now a religion. They don’t mind if they destroy the country’

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/richard-dawkins-brexit-is-now-a-religion-they-don-t-mind-if-they-destroy-the-country-1.4010159

I made inquiries to see whether I could become an Irish citizen. I gather I can’t because I can’t produce an Irish grandparent, much to my regret. I would love to become an Irish citizen

Strange:90% of people in UK have an Irish grandmother!
Dawkins is an Islamophobe and a sexist, who is coasting on his past research successes. He's authority is nil for me.

katastrofa

September 21st, 2019, 7:21 pm

"His past research"? He just popularised Wilson's, Hamilton's and Haldane's results. He didn't write anything scientifically innovative.

bearish

September 21st, 2019, 10:14 pm

I'm probably out of my depth here but, in general, there is certainly value to the act of popularizing scientific ideas. He's like the John Hull of evolution! Even his Oxford chair was awarded on that premise, as best as I can tell. Whether that should or should not give him a platform to express his view on Brexit is ultimately neither here nor there: he has a platform and a view. Sometimes the quorum is more important than the agenda.

Paul

September 21st, 2019, 10:33 pm

He’s too stupid to realize that his involvement is counterproductive to his (assumed by me) goal. Like Blair, Geldof, Rowling, Branson, etc.

I must admit it is refreshing when a celeb does not express an opinion! There aren’t that many left. And they seem to be quite nice people!
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On