Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Time for BREXIT FAQ

December 6th, 2020, 2:46 pm

No, it does seem clear that England won the race to be the first Western country to agree to take delivery and apply the vaccine. However, since they took no other part in discovering it or producing it, and are in the process of closing their border to the continent, there may be some unique logistical challenges to follow.
This sounds like a variation of True Scotsman..
UK vaccines, China, CCCP, US vaccines ... spoiled for choice.
Note that I didn’t at all claim that the UK hasn’t participated in the race to develop a vaccine. In fact, they have at least one highly credible candidate. It’s just that the particular vaccine BJ celebrated as a great national triumph was created by Turkish immigrants to Germany, developed in conjunction by a US multinational company and actually manufactured in Belgium. It should be properly celebrated as a triumph of globalism and for that matter capitalism, albeit backstopped by massive pre-orders from several governments.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 6th, 2020, 4:36 pm

Yes, the Turkish prof was interviewed by the BBC 2 who asked how he would celebrate .. he responded "tea" to which the BBC interviewer congratulated the prof on a fine British tradition... interviewer not knowing Turkey is big into tea. Ouch. In fact, it is #1, UK #3, Ireland #2.

bearish

December 8th, 2020, 2:31 am

So, as a foreigner and not a native speaker of this very rich language, I’m sure that I’m missing something. But, to use as a negotiation ploy in trying to achieve a new agreement the idea that maybe, just maybe, we won’t break the law and unilaterally discard parts of a closely related agreement with you that we signed a few months ago, seems a bit rich. But I’m sure the Eurish peeps will roll over and accept their allotment of mackerel and haddock. You shall have a fishy...

Paul

December 8th, 2020, 2:45 am

We did vote overwhelmingly for this government. Call me old fashioned, but this seems like a Good Thing.

bearish

December 8th, 2020, 3:13 am

Now “this” means the international law breaking part? It doesn’t trouble me deeply, it just seems to reduce the UK to the level of, well, the US under Trump.

Paul

December 8th, 2020, 3:16 am

I meant voting for the people who are now doing the negotiating.

But I’ve anyway never really understood the concept of international law, Geneva Convention, etc.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 8th, 2020, 10:15 am

What's the fun of agreements you can't break. They will never accept ECJ as final arbiter. Still. Singapore on the Wash is tempting. You can always have a go. Bon voyage.

Logic is gone. It's all emotion at this stage.

bearish

December 8th, 2020, 3:16 pm

What's the fun of agreements you can't break. They will never accept ECJ as final arbiter. Still. Singapore on the Wash is tempting. You can always have a go. Bon voyage.

Logic is gone. It's all emotion at this stage.

In all fairness, the vote was mostly about emotion to begin with. To the extent logic came into play, it was mostly founded on the sort of premises that would fit on the side of a bus.

Paul

December 8th, 2020, 4:57 pm

You guys! 

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 8th, 2020, 4:59 pm

It's not a pretty sight.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 9th, 2020, 1:44 pm

In the absence of a free trade agreement on 1 January, EU consumers will not avail of a range of existing EU protections when shopping from UK websites.
They will not be able to refer any disputes to authorities as they have done in the past.

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

December 14th, 2020, 3:17 pm

Dear Simon.
What's a no deal interregnum? Will  JRM accept this?
ABOUT WILMOTT

Wilmott

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On