Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul
Topic Author

Re: Are you ready for Brexit?

November 20th, 2019, 4:51 am

Anybody not born in England will be thrown into the river. And if they float, they'll be burned at the stake.
A Nick Clegg quote if I'm not mistaken. You can absolutely trust anything he says. 

Cuchulainn

November 20th, 2019, 11:55 am

On the "Us vs Them" division.
Got it.

Us and Them
And after all we're only ordinary men
Me, and you
God only knows it's not what we would choose to do
Forward he cried from the rear
and the front rank died
And the General sat, as the lines on the map
moved from side to side
Black and Blue
And who knows which is which and who is who
Up and Down
And in the end it's only round and round and round
Haven't you heard it's a battle of words
the poster bearer cried
Listen son, said the man with the gun
There's room for you inside
Down and Out

katastrofa

November 20th, 2019, 5:58 pm

It's actually from the Dark Side of The Moon, not The Division Bells. Poles apart?

Cuchulainn

November 20th, 2019, 7:53 pm

It's actually from the Dark Side of The Moon, not The Division Bells. Poles apart?
You missed the 70s. Pink Floyd implosion.Post-peak.
Seriously, as a 16-year old Irish adolescent how cud ya listen to this? Music for college students.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8EpAv4miA

We chose

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrC1tLHzY28

Reaction to Showband hegemony of the 60s!

bearish

November 21st, 2019, 2:30 am

Anybody not born in England will be thrown into the river. And if they float, they'll be burned at the stake.
A Nick Clegg quote if I'm not mistaken. You can absolutely trust anything he says. 
I actually meant it to be original, albeit with a strong Monty Python influence. If I infringed copyright of the great Clegg, I humbly apologize. 

Paul
Topic Author

November 21st, 2019, 2:40 am

TBH it could have been anyone trying to terrify people into staying in the EU.

It was discovered early on in the Brexit campaign that there are large sections of UK society that will believe anything they are told. They’ve become known as Remoaners. It’s like the results of the Milgram experiment. But instead of people in lab coats they believe anything told them via the BBC.

Herd

November 21st, 2019, 9:28 am

Agreed.
But at least on the Brexit topic there were other media arguing the other side of the argument (Other media have been arguing for decades that the EU was the cause of all problems). So in the end there was a diversity of opinions in the media.

What’s more interesting is when MSMs all say the same thing, then it’s more difficult to see the propaganda (eg most geopolitical issues, Russia, Yemen, Bolivia now...).

Another interesting question is: can we see the propaganda when it is on our side (as opposed as against our opinion)?
Peter Osborne recently was told by senior BBC executives that it was wrong to expose the many lies told by Johnson, because it undermines trust in British politics.

So yes, the BBC has amazing programs (David Attenborough comes to my mind), but it is a propaganda machine.

ISayMoo

November 21st, 2019, 9:56 am

It was discovered early on in the Brexit campaign that there are large sections of UK society that will believe anything they are told. They’ve become known as Remoaners. It’s like the results of the Milgram experiment. But instead of people in lab coats they believe anything told them via the BBC.
That's not the only such group! There were also people who believed the Tories that they will not allow a customs border between GB and NI ;-)

Cuchulainn

November 21st, 2019, 11:18 am

Ms Emily Maitlis would have been more forensic.  I remember her giving Mr. Taleeb a good grrilling a few years ago. 

BTW she is the only Newsnight reader who did not attend a private school.

katastrofa

November 22nd, 2019, 3:35 am

@Can we see the propaganda when it is on our side (as opposed as against our opinion)?

Yes. Furthermore, I have a nasty habit of attacking my own propagandists the most aggressively. (But that's only about veganism and animal welfare. Otherwise I don't give a flying shoe.)

@the BBC has amazing programs (David Attenborough comes to my mind)

Climate crisis propaganda! ;-)

Cuchulainn

December 13th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Are you ready for BREXIT, really?

Cuchulainn

December 14th, 2019, 11:30 am

No more whinging: get on with it

www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/1214/1099099-brexit/

Collector

December 14th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Norway have been out of EU all the time, and it went quite well...it would have gone even much better if not the politicians that hoped we would join EU not had gone behind the peoples backs and signed as many agreements with EU as possible after they got shocked and figured out the people did not want to go in.

For example Norway was forced to reduce the amount of cinnamon in their bakery due to some EU regulative that they signed behind our back...a EU regulative that do not even distinguish between real and fake cinnamon!

Britain did good in not accepting the EURO, it will be much harder for EU countries that accepted the EURO to leave.

Long live Kroner and Pounds!  

a few more decades and Britain are likely out of EU! People are warned every day in London: "Mind the gap!"

Paul
Topic Author

January 31st, 2020, 3:33 am

Remoaners, are you ready? You have to find teething problems and magnify them out of all proportion. Use hashtag #BrexitWTYS.

bearish

January 31st, 2020, 12:49 pm

I can see it now: “That’s just a teething problem. It’s perfectly normal for molars to grow out of your forehead.”