Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Cuchulainn

Re: Are you ready for Brexit?

December 1st, 2022, 11:42 pm

Brexit: 71 pages of paperwork for 1 lorry of fish

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55887043

Two employees out of eight in the Samways office now focus on Brexit-related administration.

Paul
Topic Author

December 2nd, 2022, 7:26 am

EU paperwork is legendary.

I spoke at a conference in Luxembourg recently. For free. They were going to reimburse my travel costs. But the paperwork was horrendous. So I wrote it off. I won’t be speaking there again!

bearish

December 2nd, 2022, 1:59 pm

So, to put succinctly, this is exactly what BJ and the Brexiteers wanted. Freedom from EU red tape, and no need to interact with them whatsoever. Unless you somehow wanted to sell them stuff. But there are other markets.

Paul
Topic Author

December 2nd, 2022, 2:37 pm

Works for me!

I’ve found that when pushed most countries will sidestep unnecessary red tape, but not the EU. Of course, depends what is meant by “unnecessary.” To otherwise unemployable bureaucrats all red tape is necessary.

(If someone is so stupid as to not see what is paperwork for paperwork’s sake then do you really want to trust them with enough info for identity theft?)

Cuchulainn

December 2nd, 2022, 3:01 pm

So, to put succinctly, this is exactly what BJ and the Brexiteers wanted. Freedom from EU red tape, and no need to interact with them whatsoever. Unless you somehow wanted to sell them stuff. But there are other markets.
Get them to pay up front!

Cuchulainn

December 2nd, 2022, 3:02 pm

I spoke at a conference in Luxembourg recently. For free. They were going to reimburse my travel costs. But the paperwork was horrendous. So I wrote it off. I won’t be speaking there again!
Yikes! Outsource that stuff!
Besides, get them to plan your flght A-Z. It's not rocket science.

DavidJN

December 2nd, 2022, 3:11 pm

The UK government has hired 50,000 additional bureaucrats to deal with Brexit. That number is said to be about equal to the number of EU employees in Brussels. The irony is delicious.

But my favourite so far is Boris’ government reduced to begging a private road charity for help in dealing with stranded lorry drivers on their way to the Chunnel.

Paul
Topic Author

December 2nd, 2022, 3:59 pm

They did the flight, that’s easy because it’s paid in advance, as was the hotel. It was the rest that needed the unnecessaries.

I find it strange so many people see those wanting a reduction in paperwork as the baddies. All very Lewis Carroll.

Gamal

December 2nd, 2022, 4:15 pm

Don't you have a spreadsheet with all your data for such purposes? My hat!

Paul
Topic Author

December 2nd, 2022, 4:32 pm

I have lots of data in spreadsheets. The question is how much do I need to reveal for any particular purpose. How much is “needed” is always less than what is “wanted.”

Gamal

December 2nd, 2022, 4:54 pm

Name, given name, pass number, flight numbers, hotel name, what more?

Paul
Topic Author

December 2nd, 2022, 5:13 pm

Full copy of passport with personal info

Personal home address

Bank details (this is ok!)

At this point stealing my identity is trivial.

Physical taxi receipts instead of pdf. They assume I’m going to forge receipts, so seems fair that I assume they will steal my identity.

Cuchulainn

December 2nd, 2022, 6:03 pm

They did the flight, that’s easy because it’s paid in advance, as was the hotel. It was the rest that needed the unnecessaries.

I find it strange so many people see those wanting a reduction in paperwork as the baddies. All very Lewis Carroll.
The worst I had was that I had to change the word VAT to to the equivalent in a European language. Of course, it takes them 2 months to reprocess invoice.