SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

ISayMoo

Re: Are you ready for Brexit?

February 3rd, 2019, 5:15 pm

EU citizens residing in the UK cannot revolt, because they'd get deported immediately.

Erasmus students won't revolt either, they're too busy chasing internships in Accenture.

Who else?

katastrofa

February 3rd, 2019, 5:53 pm

OMG, the price of strawberries will rise. No wonder Remoaners are upset.
Strawberries should be expensive. Their production is labour- and resource-intensive, harming for the environment (uses a large amount of water and pollutes), and they have short shelf life. At home, we used to produce several kinds of fruits (not strawberries). Their prices were pretty much proportional to the effort it took to harvest them them: a basket of raspberries was priced several times higher than a case of aronia or blackcurrants. We picked raspberries by hand (the only harvesters which existed at the time made leafy juice out of them) and used harvesters for other fruits. Anyway, I've stopped buying strawberries two seasons ago, after I've noticed that they often come from the region of Spain which is very dry - that's insane. (I don't eat raspberries either - persistent trauma of working with their harvest.)

bearish

February 3rd, 2019, 6:24 pm

Upon Brexit actually happening, a lot of people will have a lot of rights and opportunities taken away from them. Things have “turned ugly” for far smaller and less relevant reasons.
UBAH other people will have opportunities returned to them.
There is no question that if you have money like J. Rees-Mogg (or perhaps P. Wilmott), none of this bullshit makes any difference whatsoever. If you want to live in Portugal, you just buy a suitable part of it, very few questions asked. With no money and merely a hope of learning how to make port, not so much. More analogies, aphorisms and/or metaphors will be supplied on demand.

ISayMoo

February 3rd, 2019, 6:28 pm

Ending FOM means more job opportunities for the locals.

Paul
Topic Author

February 3rd, 2019, 7:31 pm

We grow about 10% of the strawberries we consume. (By “we” I mean my family.) About 30% of tomatoes, onions and garlic. And 10,000% of the runner beans.

katastrofa

February 3rd, 2019, 8:06 pm

That's very British.

bearish

February 3rd, 2019, 9:49 pm

Maybe. That's a general equilibrium kind of question, but I agree that it almost certainly means less competition for most local jobs. Whether the number of jobs suitable for the locals stays high enough to make it a good trade is, I think, too hard to tell just from theoretical models and forecasts. But, in the process, you do close out a lot of opportunities (for jobs and other endeavors) that involve not staying local.  

bearish

February 3rd, 2019, 9:52 pm

Of course, if Brexit results in a massive scaling back of London's finance industry and all the supporting functions (from lawyers and accountants to hotels and restaurants), maybe so many qualified people will repatriate to their home towns of Leicester and Sunderland as to crush the job market for those locals who never left home.

katastrofa

February 3rd, 2019, 9:55 pm

@Paul: It looks like you have all the ingredients: Fasolía (is the true name of this dish)
It´s not Middle Eastern, in case that could spoil your taste. It came to the Middle East with Sephardic Jews, and through Balkans and Turkey with the Jews expelled from Spain and then further to some Ukrainian tables in the Bessarabian times with Muslims who already advertised it as their own, and through the stomach it found a way to mess up the local genetic pool in a way I'm sometimes accused of faking ;-)
One more thing, the beans shouldn't be stringy, so better pick them young. Unless you don't manage to find an EU immigrant to do that for you...
Last edited by katastrofa on February 3rd, 2019, 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Topic Author

February 3rd, 2019, 10:33 pm

I found the only way to eat large quantities of the runner beans was to make a hummus-like thing. Beans (no pod), garlic, olive oil. I rarely use recipes!

ISayMoo

February 3rd, 2019, 10:38 pm

Of course, if Brexit results in a massive scaling back of London's finance industry and all the supporting functions (from lawyers and accountants to hotels and restaurants), maybe so many qualified people will repatriate to their home towns of Leicester and Sunderland as to crush the job market for those locals who never left home.
We're having tech companies replacing the banksters.

bearish

February 3rd, 2019, 10:45 pm

Well, and I mean this in the most sincere of ways, good luck with that!

katastrofa

February 3rd, 2019, 11:03 pm

I found the only way to eat large quantities of the runner beans was to make a hummus-like thing. Beans (no pod), garlic, olive oil. I rarely use recipes!
Oh, then I can recommend mixing virtually everything you want to get rid of with mashed (e.g. next-day) potatoes and sprinkling it with freshly ground pepper.

Cuchulainn

February 4th, 2019, 9:39 pm

Depends on the jobs. You'll get no locals to pick strawberries. No way. Same as in the Netherlands.

The quants will  have to be trained all over again. That'll take a while.

Cuchulainn

February 4th, 2019, 9:40 pm

We're having tech companies replacing the banksters.
And [60,90]% will be foreign workers. 
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On