SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

katastrofa

Re: Are you ready for Brexit?

July 20th, 2019, 12:58 am

The tragedy of the commons. This topic is like reading Haidt. Yawn!
The beer test is in fact giving way to your frontal cortex. It says a lot about your personality :-) You're intellectually lazy (it's common in intelligent people), don't like overly complex cognitive constructs. You produce short outbursts of genius rather than elaborate answers to complex problems achieved after days of studying their intricacies.
But I've spent a half of the day tearing apart a kitchen in my old flat and I feel like Bruce Banner after transforming back from Hulk... so what do I know.

bearish

July 20th, 2019, 1:44 am

The idea of sending the queen, a living relic of centuries past, to Brussels to plead the case of the Tories is really cute. Of course, compared to Boris, her hair is much nicer...

Paul
Topic Author

July 20th, 2019, 1:57 am

The tragedy of the commons. This topic is like reading Haidt. Yawn!
The beer test is in fact giving way to your frontal cortex. It says a lot about your personality :-) You're intellectually lazy (it's common in intelligent people), don't like overly complex cognitive constructs. You produce short outbursts of genius rather than elaborate answers to complex problems achieved after days of studying their intricacies.
But I've spent a half of the day tearing apart a kitchen in my old flat and I feel like Bruce Banner after transforming back from Hulk... so what do I know.
Sounds 100% correct. (Am not sure about the reasoning though.) People write books about the benefits of not overthinking, so I’m told. I haven’t read them.

ISayMoo

July 20th, 2019, 7:46 pm

People may be nice beer buddies but useless as leaders, though.

Paul
Topic Author

July 20th, 2019, 8:48 pm

I don’t think Cuch was expressing any opinion about the leadership skills of French politicians vs 18-year old soldiers. But if the soldier makes it to 21 then I would have an opinion.

katastrofa

July 20th, 2019, 9:19 pm

The idea of sending the queen, a living relic of centuries past, to Brussels to plead the case of the Tories is really cute. Of course, compared to Boris, her hair is much nicer...
The queen's mere noblesse oblige makes her better qualified for the job than the great unbrushed.

bearish

July 20th, 2019, 9:49 pm

My first encounter with the term "noblesse oblige" was in an early Agaton Sax book, and it left me confused. I was probably 12 at the time, and Norway (unlike Sweden) had not have native nobility for centuries. 

katastrofa

July 20th, 2019, 9:59 pm

I think I've read this word in some dictionary and remembered it, because it sounds like a name of a French dessert.

ISayMoo

July 21st, 2019, 6:13 pm

My first encounter with the term "noblesse oblige" was in an early Agaton Sax book, and it left me confused. I was probably 12 at the time, and Norway (unlike Sweden) had not have native nobility for centuries. 
Did it ever had any?

bearish

July 21st, 2019, 6:54 pm

Yes, although it's unclear to me exactly how the local version of the concept maps to the continental and/or British versions. There seems to have been a peak in the late middle ages, on the tail end of and following the viking era, with various earls, barons, knights and squires having been granted the right to land as well as some power to tax "their" people. The 1500's was not a good time for Norwegian nobility (the Danish king didn't care for them), but then there was a bit of a resurgence in the 1600's. They were pretty much banned by the Nobility Law of 1821, although with a phasing out period of a couple of generations.

Cuchulainn

July 22nd, 2019, 2:23 pm

I don’t think Cuch was expressing any opinion about the leadership skills of French politicians vs 18-year old soldiers. But if the soldier makes it to 21 then I would have an opinion.
I don't mind them if they don't block traffic. 
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

ISayMoo

July 23rd, 2019, 12:01 pm

katastrofa

July 24th, 2019, 3:14 pm

'No ifs, no buts - out on 31 October'

Cuchulainn

July 24th, 2019, 3:52 pm

No ifs, no buts - out on 31 October'

No ifs, no buts - out on 31 October'

Last edited by Cuchulainn on July 24th, 2019, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

Cuchulainn

July 24th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Ambiguous!!!
31 October 2019

R. van Gulik
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On