SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Brexit - the last 50 days

February 8th, 2019, 9:39 am

I want May's deal. Then to vote for Tories I will close my eyes and think about a hard border with Ireland on the sea. I'm only not sure exactly where. Some shallow waters.
Not possible. The Isle of Man is in the way.

And UK pays for this border.
As long as the Man doesn't try to take my abortion right his Isle can stay on our side.
Man is not in EU nor a part of UK. They have their own parliament, the oldest in the world, 2nd only to Iceland's (not the supermarket!)  Althing AFAIR.

The High Court of Tynwald is the parliament of the Isle of Man and has an unlimited, but not necessarily exclusive, legislative competence. Tynwald is of Norse origin and over 1,000 years old, and is thus the oldest parliament in the world with an unbroken existence.

The Alþingi claims to be the longest running parliament in the world.[1][2] Its establishment, as an outdoor assembly or thing held on the plains of Þingvellir ("Thing Fields") from about the year 930 AD, laid the foundation for an independent national existence in Iceland. To begin with,
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

Paul

February 8th, 2019, 10:43 am

I think that is exactly the kind of statements that Tusk is making that plays into the the brexiteers hands. I can only assume that Tusk thinks that actually Europe is better off destroyed. What kind of diplomacy is it? However he is of course right? Who in their right mind would support anything when no-one has ANY idea as to what will happen? Only idiots.

It recalls this blog post. The parallels are striking.
There've been lots of detailed plans from before the referendum, and still ongoing, from all sorts of respectable Brexiteers. You just never see them mentioned in the media, and they are ignored by all the remainer people in charge of negotiations. Just like all the news about inward investment in the UK is never mentioned. 

How much do you need to know about the future? I'm happy with not knowing much. The interviews with people in Sunderland show that they are similar. They reckon they'll survive without Nissan. (Although the last I heard about Nissan was that they were simply going to be breaking a promise to build that new car, not that they were leaving the UK! And why aren't they building the car somewhere else in the EU?!) Some people need to know every last detail before they'll get out of bed. I think that's quite sad for them.

It's a football match against Germany. Of course we'll lose. But we can play well and with dignity. But we aren't. We've got Gary Lineker kicking the ball in his own net and blaming the rest of his team.

ISayMoo

February 8th, 2019, 4:39 pm

There've been lots of detailed plans from before the referendum, and still ongoing, from all sorts of respectable Brexiteers. You just never see them mentioned in the media, and they are ignored by all the remainer people in charge of negotiations.
Where can we read them?

Gamal
Topic Author

February 8th, 2019, 4:59 pm

It's a football match against Germany. Of course we'll lose. 
You were never tempted to win? Even Grand Fenwyck was able to win against the US.
Last edited by Gamal on February 8th, 2019, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul

February 8th, 2019, 5:01 pm

E.g. There was a Leave.EU doc (I think) from before the referendum (the one warning about triggering Art 50 too soon!). There was a David Davis thing in the last few days.

Paul

February 8th, 2019, 5:02 pm

It's a football match against Germany. Of course we'll lose. 
You were never tempted to win? Even Grand Fenwyck was able to win against US.
It's not winning that matters. Not even taking part. It's how you cope with losing. In that regard Remoaners and the EU are like two-year olds.

Gamal
Topic Author

February 8th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Yes, they are. 

ISayMoo

February 8th, 2019, 5:15 pm

Entire British political history since 1945 was about coping with losing.

Paul

February 8th, 2019, 5:24 pm

I’m not competitive so am not bothered.

Cuchulainn

February 8th, 2019, 5:36 pm

I saw England - Germany final 1966 live and England won. Great match.

The sad part is that they were ignored afterwards. Bobby Moore got a rough time of it. 
http://www.datasimfinancial.com
http://www.datasim.nl

Approach your problem from the right end and begin with the answers. Then one day, perhaps you will find the final question..
R. van Gulik

ISayMoo

February 8th, 2019, 6:02 pm

And they did quite well in 2018, too.

katastrofa

February 8th, 2019, 6:39 pm

It was a pleasure to watch those young gentlemen playing football British-style. For me they won.

ISayMoo

February 8th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Croatians played some sort of team martial arts which occasionally involved kicking the ball :)

But in the end, who scores wins, and that's that.

katastrofa

February 8th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Then I must be too sophisticated for this game.

ISayMoo

February 8th, 2019, 10:37 pm

ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On