SERVING THE QUANTITATIVE FINANCE COMMUNITY

Cuchulainn

Re: Brexit - the last 50 days

February 10th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Because Britain helped Europe, twice, in the near past?
Which 'twice' would they be?

WWII was won by CCCP (huge loss of lives) and USA.

ISayMoo

February 10th, 2019, 1:39 pm

WW1 and WW2.

In both cases Britain provided the initial push. USA were Jony-come-lately's.

And the UK paid (in cash) for much of the US WW2 effort. That's why the UK was so broke in 1945.

Cuchulainn

February 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm

You live in the past.

WW1 was a propaganda campaign.It had nothing to do with altruism as you seem to be suggesting.

The big issue was who commanded the seas around Jutland and economic power. Amen.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 10th, 2019, 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamal
Topic Author

February 10th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Wut?
You'll be British in three, maybe four generations. 

Paul

February 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm

I never argue with an Eastern European about history. It's about rule number 5 in my little book of life rules notebook.

Cuchulainn

February 10th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I do. But I might take your advice.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on February 10th, 2019, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gamal
Topic Author

February 10th, 2019, 3:04 pm

I never argue with an Eastern European about history. It's about rule number 5 in my little book of life rules notebook.
That's clever, the general education doesn't exist in the UK, it's much better on the continent and quite good in Eastern Europe. I was always curious why is it so but was affraid to ask.

Cuchulainn

February 10th, 2019, 4:52 pm

46: Labour calls for Grayling to resign over ferry contract failure - but Brexiteer blames Ireland

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-st ... -1-5885658

ISayMoo

February 10th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Wut?
I feel British now. Are you German?

ISayMoo

February 10th, 2019, 4:59 pm

You live in the past.

WW1 was a propaganda campaign.It had nothing to do with altruism as you seem to be suggesting.
The UK's involvement in it was a realisation of its obligations to its allies: Belgians and French.

Gamal
Topic Author

February 10th, 2019, 5:05 pm

Wut?
I feel British now. Are you German?
More German than anything else. I think in German, my dreams are in German but I am still foreign for them. The Germans say that you are local when you have a grave there.

katastrofa

February 10th, 2019, 5:58 pm

That's clever, the general education doesn't exist in the UK, it's much better on the continent and quite good in Eastern Europe. I was always curious why is it so but was affraid to ask.
From my experience, British are significantly more erudite and familiar with the world history and current affairs than other nations. For example, many people know the first Kings of Rus and their connections to the current British monarchs! They just don't feel such a need to show off with that or are too blaise, but most of them are well-rounded conversers once you have a proper chat with them. Poland and the rest of EE are in general quite dull and narrow-minded. (I've met many Poles who couldn't locate their neighbours geographically, not to mention more distant countries - there be dragons.)

Gamal
Topic Author

February 10th, 2019, 6:37 pm

A different personal experience. Haven't met a single person from England, France, Italy etc. who knew the Century when Lvov first time became Russian (in the sense Muscovian). 

katastrofa

February 10th, 2019, 9:57 pm

Russian history before XVIII is all about conquers - sometimes of cities they've never visited ;-) It's some young country complex. When Peter (who was a Muscovite) formed his Tsardom in 170?, he desperately tried to connect its (non-existent) history to Byzantium. It could have been done by linking its origins to Kievan Rus (Rusins, the ancestors of modern Ukrainians) since Norwegian Olga baptised herself in Byzantium and her son Vladimir united Ukraine under the Christian religion in 988 (in such a liberal way that many of us remain pagans till this day). Collector knows the bygone history from the perspective of Norway. Thus Peter wanted to link Muscovites (modern Ruskiye) to Ukrainians (past Rusins). Muscovites were some wild tribes which lived in the hostile eastern lands (their name originates from "muds"). We never mixed with those guys (hence the distinct genotypes). We tried to civilise them. In vain, as you can see ;-P

https://pages.stolaf.edu/russian261-fal ... an-nation/

ppauper

February 11th, 2019, 1:13 pm

Cambridge economist protests Brexit by giving lecture totally nude, letting people sign her naked body
“Brexit leaves Britain naked.” That was the message scrawled on economics scholar Victoria Bateman’s completely nude body during a recent lecture she gave at which audience members were also allowed to “create a living anti-Brexit petition by signing her bare body,”
(snip)
This is not the first time the University of Cambridge lecturer has taken on controversial issues by baring her breasts and vagina. In 2016, she protested Brexit in the same exact way: naked. And last summer, she went semi-naked to an end-of-term university dinner with the pro-abortion slogan “my body my choice” written on her upper chest and stomach.
ABOUT WILMOTT

PW by JB

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...

GZIP: On