Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: I don't understand The Telegraph

August 31st, 2019, 9:39 pm

You couldn’t afford her.

katastrofa

August 31st, 2019, 10:22 pm

Definitely not with "my" nails. I can't understand why men like them... But then again, men are strange.

bearish
Topic Author

September 1st, 2019, 1:57 am

Tory Remainers are standing in the way of genuine democracy

This Telegraph headline mostly makes sense to me. Since "genuine democracy" equals what they want to happen, the sentence would have been equally true without the Tory prefix, but I guess they have a special relationship to manage.

Paul

September 1st, 2019, 3:21 am

There are so many nuances to democracy, so many subtleties of our political system and its mechanics, and so many examples of who said what to whom and when, that everyone can pick and choose bits to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that their position is the correct one. In every way it has been optimized for maximum chaos. 

It's like my theory that referenda often happen at the point when 50% of people want it and so the result is often near 50%. (I say 'my theory' only because I don't read any other people's research. I bet this is famous and someone got a Nobel Prize for it.)

ISayMoo

September 2nd, 2019, 10:59 pm

The Welsh devolution referendum was won with the majority of 50.30%. The result was honoured, of course. The Parliament didn't say "it's such a slim majority, let's have another vote".

Meanwhile Boris, in his assault on British democracy, announced that if the Parliament decides to tie his hands in negotiating with the EU, he will move for a General Election. This cannot be. Democratic principles dictate that the will of the 650 MPs cannot be questioned by the hoi polloi.

bearish
Topic Author

September 3rd, 2019, 12:34 am

The assumption is that he will somehow, rather sneakily, find a way to accidentally push the election date to November 1, or thereabouts. I honestly think you can have a) a representative democracy, or b) referendums on important decisions; but not both. And "referenda" is not actually the proper plural term...

Paul

September 3rd, 2019, 3:42 am

We've learned so much about the political system, so much about politicians and people, and now a bit of grammar! The gift that keeps on giving!

ISayMoo

September 3rd, 2019, 7:09 am

The assumption is that he will somehow, rather sneakily, find a way to accidentally push the election date to November 1, or thereabouts.
He will move for an election if the MPs block exiting the EU on 31 October. So why would having an election in November be a problem in this scenario? Gives the parties enough time for a proper campaign.
I honestly think you can have a) a representative democracy, or b) referendums on important decisions; but not both.
Historical experience in many countries proves you wrong, IMHO. Things get nasty if you hold a referendum telling the voters "we will respect the result" and then ignore the result...

Cuchulainn

September 3rd, 2019, 4:57 pm

There are so many nuances to democracy, so many subtleties of our political system and its mechanics, and so many examples of who said what to whom and when, that everyone can pick and choose bits to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that their position is the correct one. In every way it has been optimized for maximum chaos. 

It's like my theory that referenda often happen at the point when 50% of people want it and so the result is often near 50%. (I say 'my theory' only because I don't read any other people's research. I bet this is famous and someone got a Nobel Prize for it.)
The root cause of all these ambiguities, idiosyncrasies and inconsistencies is the fact that you don't have a written constitution.Every buddy has his own interpretation of precedence.
(IMHO)

ISayMoo

September 5th, 2019, 7:22 am

USA has a written constitution, and they're an even bigger mess than us.

Cuchulainn

December 23rd, 2019, 10:31 am

ABOUT WILMOTT

Wilmott

Wilmott.com has been "Serving the Quantitative Finance Community" since 2001. Continued...

Twitter LinkedIn Instagram

JOBS BOARD

JOBS BOARD

Looking for a quant job, risk, algo trading,...? Browse jobs here...