Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

katastrofa

Re: What is democracy?

June 23rd, 2021, 10:19 pm

Joe Biden has a good tailor. And of course Draghi who makes for a bella figura.
No, no, no. Their clothes are “signalling.” Boris is saying he’s a gentleman. The other men are saying, “I’m an estate agent.” I don’t know what the women are saying but I’m getting the tightening in the scrotum that I associate with fear or cold weather.
Boris is clever. He has Matt Hancock for that. At least, that what  my Eton neighbour says..

A test: businessmen at airports, you can tell which country they are from by their shoes and socks.

Germans look at your shoes first 1) are they (the shoes) polished? If not forget it.
:-D

Gamal

July 26th, 2022, 6:43 pm

How about any conflicts that may have happened in between the two World Wars?
off the top of my head

Spanish Civil War
Italy invades Ethiopia
Japan invades China
Palestine Police Force founded
Irish Independence and Civil War! The Dutch like you probably don't know that.

Cuchulainn

July 26th, 2022, 7:13 pm

How about any conflicts that may have happened in between the two World Wars?
off the top of my head

Spanish Civil War
Italy invades Ethiopia
Japan invades China
Palestine Police Force founded
Irish Independence and Civil War! The Dutch like you probably don't know that.
No time for that carry on. Too busy keeping order in Indonesia. The natives were revolting,

Cuchulainn

July 26th, 2022, 7:18 pm

Japanese invasion of Manchuria began on 18 September 1931

Cuchulainn

July 26th, 2022, 7:46 pm

French occupation of Morocco 1914-1934

Gamal

July 26th, 2022, 8:02 pm

First of all - Russian Civil War. Over 6 million troops on all sides (they were more than just two), more than 15 million casualties (9 million civilians).

katastrofa

August 2nd, 2022, 6:40 pm

Ugly American!

Cuchulainn

August 2nd, 2022, 7:21 pm

Ugly American!
veterans of 1949?

Alan

August 3rd, 2022, 7:04 pm

Ugly American!
veterans of 1949?
Henny Youngman Brigade -- "Take my island ... please!"

Cuchulainn

August 3rd, 2022, 10:50 pm

“Do you know what it means to come home at night to a woman who'll give you a little love, a little affection, a little tenderness? It means you're in the wrong house, that's what it means.”

A doctor gave a man six months to live. The man couldn't pay his bill, so he gave him another six months.

bearish

September 24th, 2022, 12:18 am

In the US version, it is either Republicans or democracy. The UK story is a little more complicated. As is, I guess, the Ukrainian situation, but pretty much the same battle between abject evil and something goodish.

Gamal

September 24th, 2022, 7:39 am

No Sir. I am very sorry but GOP (irrelevent how ugly it may be) is a necessary component of American democracy. For one simple reason: you've got a two-party system in the US and if you remove one of them only one party remains. It's a simple arthmetics, for little children. Single party systems are not called democracy but dictature.

Sorry you must suffer for the money.

bearish

September 24th, 2022, 10:53 am

Let’s just get this one miscomprehension of yours out of the way. It may have been the case at some point in the 90’s that my ability to make good money here was a significant reason to stay in NYC, although London offered pretty much the same opportunities (and, at $2 to the pound, similar cost of living). But really, my primary reason for remaining here is family and related connections. While I’m here and retain most of my mental faculties, I might as well work, and it is true that I’m paid well. If they stopped paying me tomorrow, we might ultimately move somewhere else, but most likely to an adjacent state and primarily for the purpose to get a bit closer to a grown daughter. A benefit of having accumulated some wealth is the comforting thought that should one of the grown daughters require modern medical care prohibited by their state (or, in a relatively likely near future, country), I will probably have the resources to get them transported to someplace where it is available. As for the GOP and their supporters, fuck’em. There is just nothing there to justify their survival, and they have made it very clear that future election losses will not be accepted. We may see a trial run of this playbook in Brazil, with a very trumpian character about to lose a presidential election.

Gamal

September 24th, 2022, 1:16 pm

That sounds already normal. When you stay somewhere for longer you find some things attractive and some less attractive. The longer you stay there the more it becomes your place. You must somehow let other people make their choices, even if you think they are wrong. If they want Donald Trump as POTUS, let them have Donald Trump. It didn't last long.

Marsden

September 24th, 2022, 1:56 pm

I am very sorry but GOP (irrelevent how ugly it may be) is a necessary component of American democracy. For one simple reason: you've got a two-party system in the US and if you remove one of them only one party remains. It's a simple arthmetics, for little children. Single party systems are not called democracy but dictature.
No.

The political perspectives within the American Democratic Party cover most of the entire spectrum of politics in the civilized world. There may be a few stuffed shirts in Europe who want to end universal healthcare and to eviscerate public retirement systems; in America, we have a major political party that wants to do that.

If the Trumpublican Party would disappear tomorrow (a boy can dream, can't he?) the Democratic Party in America would split, either implicitly or explicitly, and probably both for awhile.

And we wouldn't have our legislature half populated with fuckwads who want to pretend that Hunter Biden's laptop is the biggest crisis we face as a country.