ISayMoo

Re: General Election 2019

December 5th, 2019, 4:20 am

Come on BJ!

Cuchulainn

December 5th, 2019, 11:47 am

I know how to spell Pinocchio, but I have a problem with Giapetto (-:

I think it was and a fair comment on the fact that someone insulted his son. A natural reaction rather than "outrageous snobbery and arrogance".
Why could he not have just said "Bah! Humbug"!

Paul
Topic Author

December 5th, 2019, 6:40 pm

So it looks like about 33% of the UK electorate are racist and proud of it.

katastrofa

December 6th, 2019, 7:38 am

I know how to spell Pinocchio, but I have a problem with Giapetto (-:

I think it was and a fair comment on the fact that someone insulted his son. A natural reaction rather than "outrageous snobbery and arrogance".
Why could he not have just said "Bah! Humbug"!
Because he was upset, angry, dismayed by the low standards of the interviewer. "Hey, thanks for coming. Our audience called your wife Nancy. What do you think about it?" - how would you react?

Cuchulainn

December 6th, 2019, 1:34 pm

A lack of clear communication as awards go to the European Commission and Boris Johnson in campaign against jargon and the poor use of language. (that was in 2004)

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/1203/1096662-foot-in-mouth-award/

That's the real danger of all those BBC quiz shows; you succumb to glibness. Too clever by half.

bearish

December 6th, 2019, 3:42 pm

Very interesting, not to say unusual, editorial in the FT today. After carefully considering each of the main parties and what they stand for, the FT declined to endorse any of them. They’re all rubbish!

Paul
Topic Author

December 6th, 2019, 4:22 pm

Very interesting, not to say unusual, editorial in the FT today. After carefully considering each of the main parties and what they stand for, the FT declined to endorse any of them. They’re all rubbish!
This is exactly like Sky News. They recently ran a story that was critical of Labour. It's their way of saying "Vote Conservative" without having to use those words.

Paul
Topic Author

December 6th, 2019, 4:28 pm

SEATS:

[$]\mbox{ Party }\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ Low (10%) }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ Median }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ High (10%) }\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ }[$]
[$]\mbox{ Con }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 310 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 334 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 359 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ }[$]
[$]\mbox{ Lab }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 217 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 242 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 267 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ }[$]
[$]\mbox{ Lib Dem }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 13 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 16 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 19 }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ }[$]

[$]\mbox{ Prob. Con majority }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\,\mbox{ 68.7% }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ Expected Majority } 18 [$]
[$]\mbox{ Prob. Lab majority }\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 0.0% }[$]
[$]\mbox{ Prob. Con majority with DUP }\;\;\;\;\mbox{ 81.0% }[$]

Paul
Topic Author

December 6th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Posh lefties I know are now backtracking on their cultish support for Labour. All along the lines of “I don’t want a Conservative government so I’d ideally vote for Lib Dems or the Greens but in my constituency Labour are the only realistic opposition.”

Maybe they aren’t as proud of being racist as I’d thought. Although still clearly must be racist.

bearish

December 7th, 2019, 12:01 am

Umm - those Leavers who want to keep out smelly Eastern Europeans who take their jobs are not at all racist, right? "Race" is of course a rather tricky concept, especially as conflated with religion (letterboxes, anti-Semitics, etc.). 

Paul
Topic Author

December 7th, 2019, 2:57 am

Where does one start with this?!

Let's start with "letterboxes." I assume that you are referring to Boris Johnson's article? The key part that has got all the social justice warriors in a froth is:

If you say that it is weird and bullying to expect women to cover their faces, then I totally agree – and I would add that I can find no scriptural authority for the practice in the Koran. I would go further and say that it is absolutely ridiculous that people should choose to go around looking like letter boxes; and I thoroughly dislike any attempt by any – invariably male – government to encourage such demonstrations of “modesty”, notably the extraordinary exhortations of President Ramzan Kadyrov of Chechnya, who has told the men of his country to splat their women with paintballs if they fail to cover their heads.

And the title of said article? Denmark has got it wrong. Yes, the burka is oppressive and ridiculous – but that's still no reason to ban it.

It's a very good article. Please read it.

The whole point of the article was that women should be allowed to wear what they like, not be bullied into particular attire by their menfolk or by the state. 

Do you tell Mrs bearish what to wear?  

And some people (i.e. lefties) do like to be told what to do by the state!

The burka is ridiculous, hoodies are ridiculous, ties are ridiculous. But being forced into wearing any of them against your will is creepy.

Paul
Topic Author

December 7th, 2019, 3:08 am

Next, Eastern Europeans. They do take jobs from...what's the correct phrase that won't upset you? I suspect that whatever phrase I choose you will manufacture some outrage.

A decade ago all the middle class (English definition not US definition which is completely different) were saying how cheap Polish builders were. Everyone was saying it. All the middle class knew this. They hired Polish builders instead of... Did they not put two and two together to figure out what this meant for the ... builders? The middle class lawyers, the middle class managers, the middle class accountants, the middle class dentists and doctors did not experience the same influx in their fields.

But it's very easy to look down from a job in banking at the builders and gardeners and waiters and sneer.

Paul
Topic Author

December 7th, 2019, 3:08 am

Smelly?

You're thinking of the French, not Eastern Europeans. 

Alan

December 7th, 2019, 4:03 am

I'm with Boris. First they ban the burka, then they ban Daft Punk ...

Paul
Topic Author

December 7th, 2019, 4:51 am

Some good news then!

That reminds me, another good thing about the election is that Hugh Grant has made Keanu Reeves look like a genius in comparison.