Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul
Topic Author

Squaring the circle! Proof is too big for the margin

December 7th, 2019, 6:56 pm

Acquaintances of mine can square the circle!!! But they are not divulging their proof. 

(FYI It's an analogy for all those lefties who send their children to private schools while simultaneously wanting to ban them.)

katastrofa

Re: Squaring the circle! Proof is too big for the margin

December 7th, 2019, 7:28 pm

I don't want to be Captain Obvious, but their reasoning seems assume that now they have to send children to private (better) schools to give them the best chances competing with others' children, so why not ban private schools send all kids to the public ones? ;-)

Paul
Topic Author

December 7th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Ban nice restaurants. Make all food free.

Ban independent radio. Only broadcast the BBC.

Ban all books. Except for Marx.

The key element in this is, to me, motive. Why do the left want to ban private schools? They say they want to redistribute resources to everyone's benefit. (Redistribution, or what I would call "stealing," is big on the left.) But I don't believe that for one nanosecond. It's about envy. Envy is to some extent the driving force behind productivity...for the hard working. But it's also a cause for internal psychological anguish for the lazy. And, boy, do the left suffer that anguish! (It is seen is the screaming abuse of antifa and the short fuse of Corbyn.)

Do you honestly think that Corbyn and McDonnell, both of whom had the advantages of private education but failed miserably, want to ban private schools for any reason other than their own envy?

(The confusing thing, as I keep wittering on about, is the clever and rich people who also want to ban private schools. What is their tortuous internal reasoning?)

Cuchulainn

December 7th, 2019, 8:08 pm

I see John McDonnell is a Liverpool Irish Catholic (who isn't?) and went to a Grammar school. It's just his name that sounds English. 
Seems he studied for A levels at night school.

JC also went to a prestigous (top 50) grammar school. Anyone who was again the Vietnam War can't be all bad. Of course, almost no one on this forum remembers the 60s.

Of course, I might have been fed Fake News.
Last edited by Cuchulainn on December 7th, 2019, 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cuchulainn

December 7th, 2019, 8:19 pm

We need a definition of schools

independent/private/public/grammar/state

AFAIK, Eton is a public school.

bearish

December 7th, 2019, 10:37 pm

Ban nice restaurants. Make all food free.

Ban independent radio. Only broadcast the BBC.

Ban all books. Except for Marx.

The key element in this is, to me, motive. Why do the left want to ban private schools? They say they want to redistribute resources to everyone's benefit. (Redistribution, or what I would call "stealing," is big on the left.) But I don't believe that for one nanosecond. It's about envy. Envy is to some extent the driving force behind productivity...for the hard working. But it's also a cause for internal psychological anguish for the lazy. And, boy, do the left suffer that anguish! (It is seen is the screaming abuse of antifa and the short fuse of Corbyn.)

Do you honestly think that Corbyn and McDonnell, both of whom had the advantages of private education but failed miserably, want to ban private schools for any reason other than their own envy?

(The confusing thing, as I keep wittering on about, is the clever and rich people who also want to ban private schools. What is their tortuous internal reasoning?)
Fwiw, I don't have a problem with private schools. They obviously have the potential to confer "unfair" benefits to the students, but so do a whole host of other ways that their parents can spend money on them, including a bunch that kick in before school age. And as a payer of (very) high local taxes who sent two kids to private school, I find it hard to see that we somehow took resources away from the public school system.

Cuchulainn

December 7th, 2019, 11:12 pm

I've heard that the Catholic schools in NYC are the best.

ISayMoo

December 7th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Don't let Catholic clergy anywhere near your children, FFS!

bearish

December 8th, 2019, 12:34 am

I'd consider that sound advice!

Cuchulainn

February 6th, 2020, 3:24 pm

I suspect this is fake news. What Brendan O'Neill would write. At least on Wikipedia, they were educated at state/grammar/independent schools. 
@Paul, correct me if I am wrong. I think you got the run of yourself on this one.

Upon leaving education, McDonnell held a series of unskilled jobs. After marrying his first wife, he studied for A-levels at night school at Burnley Technical College, and at the age of 23, he moved to Hayes in Greater London, attended Brunel University, and earned a bachelor's degree in government and politics.[13][14] During this period, he helped his wife run a small children's home in Hayes, and was active on behalf of his local community and for National Union of Public Employees

I've seen Boris Johnson visiting schools for 5 minutes on TV but I don't know if he ever worked in one or even run one.

Collector

June 14th, 2020, 3:08 pm

"Acquaintances of mine can square the circle!!! But they are not divulging their proof. "

been there, done that, just tell them that The Bullet Proof Train now has left them for good !!

Cuchulainn

August 23rd, 2020, 10:10 am

"Acquaintances of mine can square the circle!!! But they are not divulging their proof. "

been there, done that, just tell them that The Bullet Proof Train now has left them for good !!
We need a bigger margin. QED

Collector

September 1st, 2020, 7:02 am

We need a bigger margin. QED
 quod erat demonstrandum or new, bigger and better QED?