Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

Paul

Re: FSU, Toby Young, Eugenics & Wilmott.com

December 10th, 2021, 6:46 pm

You can buy Mein Kampf, Mao's little red book, and even The Cuckoo's Calling by JK Rowling (awful book) on Amazon, but not When Harry Became Sally by Ryan Anderson.

Alan

December 10th, 2021, 7:28 pm

Pathetic move by amazon. Can't remember where I bought my copy. For those who haven't read it, I promise it won't make your head explode!

Paul

December 11th, 2021, 5:33 pm

We ruled out applying to one school for a child because of the school’s reputation for political correctness. They would have been indoctrinated, learned how to be a sheep, or made an example of.

Paul

December 12th, 2021, 4:35 am

Ban on conversion therapy could criminalise counsellors of trans children

The Government has extended the consultation on the criminalisation of ‘conversion therapy’, which many have warned will make it illegal to refer children who present as gender dysphoric to a psychiatrist. Both Janice Turner in the Times and Nikki Da Costa in the Telegraph warned against rushing out legislation in this complicated area. Tom Chivers, writing for UnHerd, argued that stifling conversations around gender identity and counselling for children who self-identify as trans will only cause harm. Many parents fear that they could be prosecuted for discussing their own child’s desire to change sex. Church leaders have warned that an overly-broad ban on conversion therapy would risk criminalising Christian teaching.

For a dose of common sense on this issue, I recommend "When Harry Became Sally" by Ryan Anderson. 
You have to be very careful not to confuse "gender" and "sex." I've always used gender to mean whether someone is male, female or other. And I tend to use sex for emotional manipulation and control. 

Alan

December 13th, 2021, 6:38 pm

bearish

December 15th, 2021, 8:58 pm

So Ron DeSantis, Trump’s governor, proposed legislation today that would prohibit schools and businesses in Florida from making any mention of racism, under threat of a Texas style private lawsuit from affected students, parents or employees for financial damages (including attorney’s fees). Hard to get less free speechy than that, but I’m sure this will be held out as a beacon of conservative freedom by (what was it?) right-minded publications.

Alan

December 17th, 2021, 2:33 pm

A long-running comic in the LA Times was cancelled due to the use of an ethnic slur.
This comic had run there for 10-20 years (I don't know exactly). I attach the offending comic also as a pdf.comic2.jpg

As of yesterday (haven't checked today), the LA Times was still running the same "cancellation announcement" in the slot of the "9 Chickweed Lane" comic. Since the supposed offense was on Dec 1, and now it is Dec 17, surely the Times could have replaced the comic by now. The fact that, instead, they are still running their cancellation announcement suggests that their agenda goes beyond cancellation -- to humiliation of the author. 

Paul

December 20th, 2021, 6:42 pm

The Free Speech Union welcomes today’s landmark judgement from the Court of Appeal that the recording of non-crime hate incidents is an unlawful interference with freedom of expression. As the Court says, the knowledge that such matters are being recorded and stored in a police database is likely to have had a serious “chilling effect” on public debate.

Not only does the recording of non-crime hate incidents violate Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights, as the Court said, but it is a huge waste of the police’s time.

Between 2014 and 2019, 34 police forces in England and Wales recorded a total of 119,134 non-crime hate incidents, an average of 65 a day. What possible justification can there be for the investigation and recording of ‘non-crimes’ when so many actual crimes go unsolved? Between 2015 and 2021, 964,197 domestic burglary investigations ended without a suspect being identified.

Toby Young, the Free Speech Union’s General Secretary, said: “The Free Speech Union is proud to have played a part in winning this landmark victory, but the lion’s share of the credit must go to Harry Miller. Thanks to his courage and tenacity, we can all rest a little easier in our beds tonight, knowing the police are not about to knock on our doors because we’ve made an inappropriate joke on Twitter. They should be policing our streets, not our tweets.”

Marsden

December 20th, 2021, 7:39 pm

The Free Speech Union welcomes today’s landmark judgement from the Court of Appeal that the recording of non-crime hate incidents is an unlawful interference with freedom of expression. As the Court says, the knowledge that such matters are being recorded and stored in a police database is likely to have had a serious “chilling effect” on public debate.
So this addresses just police -- or otherwise agents of the state -- recording such incidents?

If so, solid ruling: not the government's business what you do within the bounds of the law.

As for private individuals recording such things, that's an odd duck. On its face, it shouldn't be at all limited (I think): anything you do in public -- or in private where you are aware that you're being recorded -- you're responsible for your actions.

But that's not the whole story.

What if someone records everyone who goes into a meeting on unionization in America, with the intent that participants will be identified to their employer? Yes, it would be illegal for the employer to fire anyone for participating in organizing a union at their place of work ... but that and a five dollar bill probably won't even get you an iced latte at your favorite coffee spot: the onus of proof in a wrongful firing case is on the fired individual. And good luck with that.

It also troubles me that while votes are secret in American elections, the fact that someone voted is public record. And you can legally (in most American states) face workplace retaliation for no more than the act of voting.

Paul

January 9th, 2022, 4:39 am

What do they call the equivalent of White Privilege in Japan? (Asking for a flend.)

Alan

January 9th, 2022, 2:43 pm

What do they call the equivalent of White Privilege in Japan? (Asking for a flend.)
Gaijin privilege  :D

Marsden

January 10th, 2022, 2:22 pm

Yamato-damashii (大和魂, "Japanese spirit")

Paul

January 10th, 2022, 5:32 pm

Not exactly the same obsession with self flagellation then.

trackstar

January 28th, 2022, 1:02 am

Echoing the thread title:

Neil Young, Joe Rogan & Spotify.com

Interesting.

Paul

January 28th, 2022, 2:02 am

All three are enjoying the first amendment.