Serving the Quantitative Finance Community

bearish

Re: Random Republican WINGNUTS (or RRWs as they are affectionately known as)

March 23rd, 2021, 9:29 pm

Given that she was representing Trump at the time, there is a short step to the (obvious) claim that any statement made by, or in support of, Trump is not to be taken seriously by reasonable people. It’s a generalized insanity defense, based on the idea that truthiness is really not a thing. It’s all in your head. Or some other body part that’s probably functioning better, since you’re still alive.

bearish

March 26th, 2021, 1:28 am

So we need to eliminate the senate filibuster. Like, now.
See Kim Strassel (today's wsj)

It goes without saying that Mitch McConnell will do his damndest to destroy the Senate if the filibuster is removed, but once he is dead there may be hope. With the current structure, not so much. Without voting rights, democracy doesn’t amount to much.

bearish

March 26th, 2021, 1:30 am

Of course, as the Chinese government is happy to point out, democracy can get in the way of, well, getting your way.

bearish

March 30th, 2021, 1:18 am

So we need to eliminate the senate filibuster. Like, now.
See Kim Strassel (today's wsj)

It goes without saying that Mitch McConnell will do his damndest to destroy the Senate if the filibuster is removed, but once he is dead there may be hope. With the current structure, not so much. Without voting rights, democracy doesn’t amount to much.
To clarify this slightly, Mitch McConnell will obviously do his best to destroy the Senate regardless, as long as he doesn’t totally control it. When totally controlling it, he fucked the country so deeply as to quite possibly never to recover. We shall see.

bearish

April 2nd, 2021, 1:34 am

Bleeding head Republicans are so totally hell bent on eradicating voting rights for anybody that might lean slightly to the left of Attila the Hun that they are in a total scorched earth battle with rhyme, reason and sanity. Of course, rhyme, reason and sanity are less likely to carry AR-15s, but hopefully we’ll find a way.

bearish

April 11th, 2021, 8:18 pm

The news media are reporting that a number of people are moving from California to Texas for tax and political reasons. Undoubtedly raising the average IQ in both states.

Paul

April 11th, 2021, 11:13 pm

The news media are reporting that a number of people are moving from California to Texas for tax and political reasons. Undoubtedly raising the average IQ in both states.
I can expand on that story, with an extra bit of detail that seems to be lacking with respect to the number. I have it on good authority that it is a non-negative integer.

Alan

April 12th, 2021, 1:27 am

I can expand on that story, with an extra bit of detail that seems to be lacking with respect to the number. I have it on good authority that it is a non-negative integer.
Wait ... my half-brother is moving to Texas.

bearish

April 14th, 2021, 2:37 am

Maybe this deserves a new thread, but really, if you can’t tell your ass from your elbow, it would be much better if you were not issued a service revolver and a taser. #Brooklyn Center

bearish

April 30th, 2021, 2:12 am

QAnon, which is now exactly the same as the Republican Party, is desperately trying to overturn the Arizona presidential election results, because UV lights will reveal all fraudulent ballots. Because, you know, science! Oh shit, we don’t believe in that!

bearish

May 7th, 2021, 1:39 am

Bleeding head Republicans are now busy looking for traces of bamboo in Arizona ballots. Because, you know, tens of thousands of fake ballots were brought in from the southeast part of the world, well Asia (I’m quoting a lead idiot here), and there’s bamboo there! This is supposedly Trump’s primary fantasy way of claiming his birthright to president for life.

Alan

May 7th, 2021, 5:02 pm

It looks like this recount isn't going to get completed. 

One always hears about what a great job machine learning can do with image recognition. I believe it. Given that, you would think somebody could design a smart fast system to quickly verify signatures and recount mail-in ballots, which are the more problematic ones. I would guess/hope 98% would pass and a couple percent would get kicked out for hand review. Maybe add a fingerprint or something as a backup ID, although there might be issues with that. My point being -- is this really so hard!?

Of course, if a legislature proposed having such a smart fast system, Democrats would complain it must be voter suppression. Or, they'd say it was a tricky way to catch criminals.  :D    

bearish

May 7th, 2021, 6:48 pm

Can you train an AI to recognize Black handwriting?

Alan

May 7th, 2021, 6:51 pm

In California, they say it has to be blue or black. If it's red, or god forbid, yellow, it doesn't count. So, this disenfranchises all the college kids who vote with their yellow sharpie. Good riddance, I say.

You can definitely train for women's handwriting. The little curly hearts above the i's are a dead give-away.  :D 

Cuchulainn
Topic Author

May 7th, 2021, 7:12 pm

Alan,
One thing: why do folks in the States use yellow notepaper?